Black piece riveted to top corner window seam of driver and passenger doors???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gray_z71

Reaction score
Im currently in the process of painting my truck and I’m sanding down my doors... I want to get rid of this, but I want to know if it serves any purpose? I honestly have no clue what this thing is/does

You must be registered for see images attach

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
guide and hold the window glass. Not a good idea to remove, needed with flush glass.

BonestockK1500

LT265/75/R16
Reaction score
Yep mine was black but after paint it’s now same color as doors. It’s a guide to keep the glass and gaskets aligned I think. All of these trucks have them.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^ What these guys said. You can still get them new from GM if that's your concern, I dug up the part number in a similar thread here recently. I can find it for you if you're looking for some.

Krillejoli1

Reaction score
^ What these guys said. You can still get them new from GM if that's your concern, I dug up the part number in a similar thread here recently. I can find it for you if you're looking for some.
Hi, I am looking for this part, I have the old ones, but one is a bit damaged, do you have the partnumber? Thank you :)

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Yep mine was black but after paint it’s now same color as doors. It’s a guide to keep the glass and gaskets aligned I think. All of these trucks have them.

No, all of these trucks do not have them, it was something the factory added due to some trucks having wind noise issues at speed.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am looking for this part, I have the old ones, but one is a bit damaged, do you have the partnumber? Thank you :)
GM 15667246

I do not believe they are made anymore.

The_Family_Tahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It keeps the glass "close" or "near" the window gasket or window seal. It's not needed and does nothing until you reach higher speeds. At speeds over 100mph a vacuum is generated (by the speed of the air flowing over and around the cabin) and the windows are pulled out at the top. It's kind of a "gee whiz" experience the first time it happens. I suppose if you removed the retainer and went fast enough under the right (or wrong) conditions the window could shatter.
Source: standing mile event participant

Krillejoli1

Reaction score
Thanks for answers, I painted the old ones for now, will search more ot the partnumber listed above :)