Black Dog - 94' C1500 Vrtc 5.7 NV3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gavin

It Never Ends
Reaction score
Free time has been short and mostly waisted. Got the drive shaft u-jointed and balanced, Core/Hurst shifter installed, and underdrive crank pulley mounted.
Had issues with some fancy headers I bought. Bolt holes aren't elongated to fit vortec heads and I don't like the way their collector flange chokes down for the doughnut gasket. Still had the old system hanging around so I decided to revive it. Gave the old headers a 24 hour vinegar bath, scrubbed them down, and futilely painted them. Figured I'd preemptively paint them flat red to fake out the rust that will inevitably return, but Rustoleum tricked me; they turned out hugger orange. Should have gone with brown, would've came out candy-apple red.
Found some manifold gaskets that use carbon fibers; feels like felt to the touch. Fit great, see how well they sealed after a while.

You must be registered for see images attach

Gavin

It Never Ends
Reaction score
Accessories, radiator, fan assembly, and fancy blue hoses installed (pay no mind to the power steering hose mess, its just plumbed to keep the system sealed for now). Lower hose may have to go; had to trim both ends (about 3" total) and use extra clamps to keep the bends from binding. Whatever mold they're using is a bit out of spec when compared to a gates that fits fine.

Last edited:

Gavin

It Never Ends
Reaction score
Been in wiring hell for a long while, soldering in new connectors and doing other things electrical that I hate.
Bought a 3 row aluminum radiator off Rockauto. They're cheap for a reason of course, but not as bad as I was expecting. Welds look good and everything measured out alright.

Gavin

It Never Ends
Reaction score
Just kidding. *Everything but the reservoir port measured alright. It's a size smaller than OE.
I think money is better spent on a good stock unit, or paying double+ for better quality. The brand is Liland Global, which a quick google search said they're out of Rochester, NY, so I figured it was worth a try; this radiator has China written all over it.

91 Guz

Reaction score
Hey Gavin its Josh Guzman from work. this is my profile. Man I noticed the red brake calipers. looks awesome! I bought a kit to paint mine too. I plan to paint when I get my truck back. Is it hard to do man?

Gavin

It Never Ends
Reaction score
Hey Gavin its Josh Guzman from work. this is my profile. Man I noticed the red brake calipers. looks awesome! I bought a kit to paint mine too. I plan to paint when I get my truck back. Is it hard to do man?

What up. You need to get your truck a build thread going here.
I didn't paint them. They're from a brand called Power Stop; they came powder coated. I don't remember where I got them.

Gavin

It Never Ends
Reaction score

Gavin

It Never Ends
Reaction score
Disclaimer: Beware of my art space. This build went south for me a long time ago. I went against my original intentions and am now frustrated. I am now determined to make the ugliest engine compartment that I can. OE purists, shield your eyes.

I hate wiring. Finally finished figuring out all the wires related to getting the engine started. First pic reminded me of the screensaver from back when.

Second pic is the reduction gear starter in place of the old direct drive. Had to cut up a license plate to fill the leftover gap in the dust cover.

Third is an ADPI condenser just almost making the day complete. Thanks to Al's Radiator Shop in Hurst, TX for making things right and getting me a Be Cool condenser that looks way better, and it fit.

Fourth is the tacky Volant air box. Figured I could raise the tacky level, so I did.