Black box tuned and spare 411 value

Discussion in '96+ Vortec Performance + Computer Swaps' started by rangrayy, Oct 21, 2018.

1. rangrayy

rangrayy OBS Enthusiast

i found a black box that has been tuned by BBP for sale and dude told me to make an offer. Can’t tell me about the tune other than it shifts better and egr delete. What would fair value be? He also has a 411 he’d throw in the deal.

2. 454cid

454cid I'm Awesome

I have never gotten a PCM tuned, but I wouldn't think it was worth anything more than any other black box, if the tune isn't for your truck. Maybe if it's for a stock truck it would be ok (assuming you have a stock truck)... engine and transmission combinations are important. I don't know if an exact year match is.

3. df2x4

df2x4 Domestics only.

Unless your truck is EXACTLY the same as the one the tuned PCM came from (engine, transmission, gear ratios, PassLock if applicable, etc) then you're wasting your money because things aren't going to work properly. Also I believe I've read that the '96-'97 boxes are physically different from the '98-up models when it comes to wiring. I can't confirm that personally though as both of my trucks are '97s. Honestly I wouldn't want to buy a tune for someone elses vehicle, anyway. I'm sure BBP won't help you with anything if you send it in for alterations and someone else's name is on the sticker. (Yes, they do label them.)

All that said, I think the junk yards around here charge $60-$80 for used PCMs. I wouldn't pay much more than that.

EDIT - Also if it's a 4L60E tune/truck and BBP removed or reduced torque management, you're basically signing a death sentence for your transmission by installing the tuned PCM. I'd want to make 100% sure they left that alone if you're running a 60E.

Christian Steffen likes this.
  4. BNielsen

BNielsen I'm Awesome

I paid $330 or so for my PCM from Black Bear, so if you could get it for less than $100 I would jump on it, but I'd send it back into Black Bear so they could adjust it for your truck if possible

I agree with @df2x4, make sure it's the correct year pin out for your truck, 96-97 have an extra plug in the middle, 98+ has the 4.
    I've got a 4L80E in my 96 K2500, but I still left TQM alone and had them leave shift firmness alone. I'm debating on when I retune having it turned back some, but I know my trans can take thw abuse. A 4L60E will not.

Christian Steffen likes this.