Bizarre HVAC button switch short

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mckee1710

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 97 K1500 pickup has developed this bizarre short on the two (cabin recirc and AC) buttons. With the fan off either button switch on or off, the lights will flicker intermittently as shown in the video. Turn the fan on and there’s no problem, system runs as it should. There must be some relay/controller/module that’s causing this? Thanks in advance!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd have to double check the operation of that stuff to be sure, but I'm fairly certain the switch lights are supposed to turn off when the blower is switched off as nothing is happening anyway. It makes me wonder if your blower speed dial is a little worn and trying to bump over to low speed. If you hold the dial turned as far as possible towards "OFF" does it still happen?

EDIT - Disregard that, the button lights should stay on regardless of the blower dial position. Guess I just forgot because I never turn mine off.

Last edited:

mckee1710

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will add that the compressor seems to cycle on and off erratically when the fan is off but the AC button is on. With the AC button and fan both off, doesn't seem to do it.