BIZARRE end to the hunting/stumbling idle issue on my ‘95.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Before I was able to drive, I was working in the local auto parts , AC Delco, affiliate. Your high speed parts stock if not in store ? Pick the phone dial the warehouse. The Delco parts came in these really cool amazing containers. You pull this heavy thread and opens the heavy paper stock. I have a couple as loose stuff bins.
You must be registered for see images attach
Yes I remember those Delco Remy boxes like that too. We still had some at the parts store, in the late '70s. I think they got sold or reboxed....

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those are cool, kind of remind me of the Tuneup in a can.

Years ago we moved a shelving rack at a Nissan dealership that had been in business since the later 70s and ran across this. When was the last time anyone saw a genuine Datsun part?

Plastic coated gold!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have always asked to speak with commercial or be taken to the catalog rack when the computer fails to provide. Oreilly stores usually have two sets of catalogs. One behind the front counter and one in the commercial area.
Funny you say that..

This was my adventure when visiting the NAPA warehouse for a fuel pump on a '96 3500 w/the 7.4 Vortec. Last full year of separate pump vs. plastic trash can assembly that hit mid-year '97. So I looked up the part # and went down there. Guy comes out with a plastic trash can. Why he did this when I gave him the part #, dunno. I explained it's a '96, he got very defensive and just started going off unprovoked, hollering and throwing out insults.. I'm not exactly a calm person in these type of scenarios (well; I've mellowed a little since, lol) and I was just about ready to jump the counter and punch this dummy in the mouth.

At that point one of the commercial guys intervened and had me come back to their area. He had the warehouse guys bring the pump I asked for (as well as the other misc. like the sock) and suggested I just come see them from now on, and handed me an application for a commercial account. It was the way to go anyhow since I had my shop then.

Still no idea to this day what set that dummy off but I guess he must've been raked over the coals for bringing the wrong part to the counter one too many times and I pushed him over the edge. I made a point of eyeballing him every time I went in there from then on, which was usually on a weekly basis. :rofl:

Richard

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Funny you say that..

This was my adventure when visiting the NAPA warehouse for a fuel pump on a '96 3500 w/the 7.4 Vortec. Last full year of separate pump vs. plastic trash can assembly that hit mid-year '97. So I looked up the part # and went down there. Guy comes out with a plastic trash can. Why he did this when I gave him the part #, dunno. I explained it's a '96, he got very defensive and just started going off unprovoked, hollering and throwing out insults.. I'm not exactly a calm person in these type of scenarios (well; I've mellowed a little since, lol) and I was just about ready to jump the counter and punch this dummy in the mouth.

At that point one of the commercial guys intervened and had me come back to their area. He had the warehouse guys bring the pump I asked for (as well as the other misc. like the sock) and suggested I just come see them from now on, and handed me an application for a commercial account. It was the way to go anyhow since I had my shop then.

Still no idea to this day what set that dummy off but I guess he must've been raked over the coals for bringing the wrong part to the counter one too many times and I pushed him over the edge. I made a point of eyeballing him every time I went in there from then on, which was usually on a weekly basis. :rofl:

Richard
I worked a dealership shop counter for years and managed an Oreilly store for a while. I usually know who is knowledgable pretty quickly. When you ask me engine size when I ask for a tailight assembly, probably not the sharpest. I can see asking sub-model as they sometimes change depending on that, but not engine size.

HawkDsl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Amusing EGR debate aside, I laugh every time I buy coolant (green 90% of the time) at the local.. Usually covered head to toe in grease, and in proper mech attire (+ very visible OG ). "Do you need me to double check if you have the right kind for your vehicle?" I usually say "not unless they've changed it in the past 34 years".. Which is usually followed with a semi embarrassed "Oh.." - But hey, we all got to start somewhere.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just checked my 93's EGR after reading this thread... Guess it's correct... I think I still have the AC Delco box.. Will check tonight...

edit// just looked earlier and no box...saved the old most likely AutoZone one and it has the small orifice as well.maybe a micro difference bigger.....just not a concaved look and more brass colored nipple... I'm sure I have receipts somewhere...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-11-08-09-31-48-76_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-11-08-09-31-48-76_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited: