binding starter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I just finished rebuilding my motor and the start clicks then stops and I lose all power. When I unbolt the starter and try it, it spins fine. I took all the plugs out and the belt. the starter is a year old and doesn't have much run time as my motor blew shortly after I replaced it. Any tips?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the battery voltage?

What is the battery voltage when you turn the key to engage the starter, and it "clicks"?

What is the voltage AT THE STARTER SOLENOID main power cable, when the key is turned to engage the starter?

Battery terminals CLEAN and SILVER-COLORED? Battery cable ends CLEAN and SILVER-COLORED (unless they're brass, in which case they should be bright brass colored.)

What is the voltage at the engine side of the main ground cable when the key is turned and the starter clicks?

Can the crankshaft be turned by hand? Is the engine locked-up?

Was there a gap between the flexplate and the torque converter before they were bolted together, or is the torque converter bound-up on the trans pump?

Is the starter shimmed properly?

Reaction score
the main ground wire from the batter to the front of the motor was kinda crusty so I changed that and cleaned the starter mounting surface so it has a good ground. I also think my flex plate is binding on the torque converter so I'm going to try and shim it out a little bit and see if that helps.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
You should be able to push the convertor back into the trans 1/16" to 3/16" after unbolting from the flexplate.

Get a helper to hit the key and measure voltage from the positive battery post to the large stud on the starter where the positive cable goes. It should rear 0 volts.

Have the helper turn the key into the cranking position while you watch the meter. If it reads voltage the cable/connection is compromised.

Repeat the same procedure for the negative post to starter body.

Ninety-Five percent of my electrical calls are bad grounds and bad connections.

Don't be afraid to go with a larger diameter cable. The factory size is barely adequate when new.