Biggest Front Sway Bar Available for 98 K2500 Suburban?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Powderguy

Reaction score
Did alot of searching here and google and I can't find definitive information on what the biggest available front sway bar is for my truck.

A 1998 Suburban K2500 7.4l, 1 ton package so its got the cast iron lower control arms and heavier torsion bars up front, 14 bolt ff rear, 4.10 etc. I'm running a 3" body lift and 35's. I tow a few times a week and a rear sway bar would be nice I'm sure but driving in the mountains would be much nicer with more front end turning stability, I believe I have a 1 1/8th inch sway bar up front..digital calipers broke so I'm eye balling here..

What is the biggest stock sway bar that were available on these chassis that I could swap in?
Any companies make larger aftermarket ones?
What about swapping in a sway bar from a gmt800? suspension geometry is pretty close between these trucks..

Any info on the subject is appreciated, I'm a welder and powder coater by trade so I'm open to modification suggestions

Thanks!

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the Hellwig rear bar on my Express. Made a hell of a difference even with a weight distributing hitch that has a very good rear sway control setup built in.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any update?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The biggest bar I have seen comes off the 1-ton dually trucks. It was also used on the Police package Tahoes and Tahoe Limiteds that used the same Z56 suspension.

Hellwig may make something for the front as well. The Express vans all share the same 1-1/4" hollow front bar from GM. I picked up a kit Hellwig makes and advertises for the 03+ vans for my 97. Bolted right up. It is a forged 1-1/2" solid bar. Rear is a 1-3/8" Hellwig solid bar. Corners like it is on rails now.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
From the factory, the trucks with just the front bar got a larger bar than the trucks with both front & rear. GM's method of compensating for no rear.
Hellwig's are a whole lot larger than any factory offerings.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From the factory, the trucks with just the front bar got a larger bar than the trucks with both front & rear. GM's method of compensating for no rear.
Hellwig's are a whole lot larger than any factory offerings.

As I said before the one my Tahoe is larger than the one Hellwig offers. It is 1-7/16" and I pulled the rear bar and cluster from the same Tahoe Limited.

Edit-I thought it was 1-3/4" but looking at my Amazon account and the bushings I ordered after measuring the bar it is actually 37mm or 1-7/16". Of course I found the thing in the back of the yard and had to carry out the front & rear bar, the cluster and my tools all in one trip to keep them from disappearing.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
With my near 5000# slide in camper, I observed no performance difference with the Hellwig rear bar. I imagine were it a ton lighter the observed difference would be noticeable. I suppose at the end of the day I can tell myself that I did my due diligence by adding it.

94K3500PROJECT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m searching for a bigger front bar for a 4x4 and that’s how I found this thread.

just tonight I measured a crew cab long bed K3500 6.5 truck, a crew cab long bed K3500 5.7 truck and an extended cab short bed k1500 with 5.7 and ALL had a 1-1/8 bar

search is still on