Big problems!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Backing out of my driveway the right front spindle snapped clean through and the wheel fell into the wheel well. Have no idea how this happened. My truck is lowered but I have no idea what spindles and springs I have in the front end. Looks like a 4” but not 100% sure. How would I be able to tell what spindles I have? And how did this happen? Never seen it

You must be registered for see images attach

DaCoupe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could be curious to see what failed. Take off the wheel and post a picture of your setup. I will check my BellTech spindles and see if there are any markings.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
That looks like a solid 4/6 or 5/7 drop, could have lowering spindles, springs or even aftermarket control arms. Best thing to do is take pictures of it all and post them here. Someone should be able to identify them.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Spindles for GMT400's only come in 2" so they'll be 2" spindles, and either 2" or 3" springs. May have dropped control arms instead of springs, but those would be obvious as they'll be tubular instead of stamped steel.

Some clear pics of the spindles may help us determine what brand. BellTech has the model # cast into them so they're easy to identify (some I've seen also have the BellTech logo in the casting but I don't know if they have always done that.) I wouldn't suspect them of being BT though as I've never heard of that brand having a failure.

At any rate any brand of spindle is a cast iron piece with a steel axle stub pressed into it; my guess will be the axle popped out of the casting, or the casting itself failed and broke? Are you 100% sure the spindle failed, have you looked up in there and confirmed that it wasn't just a ball joint that let go?

Richard

Reaction score
I pulled off the wheel. The spindle broke clean through right at the spindle housing. The rest of the spindle is still in the wheel with the bearings. It’s spindle and spring dropped but I’m guessing it’s chinese junk. Going to order from DJM if they’re any good. I was on the highway right before this happened. Crazy stuff. Time to go play the lotto! Hahaha! I will take some pictures when I get a chance to get to the truck

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah pics please before you order. You might have DJM already; who knows...

I prefer BellTech but not everybody likes their spindles due to the track width being *slightly* wider than DJM. It's never been an issue for me but if you're running super tight tire clearance to fender lip it could be an issue.

Richard

Reaction score
Yeah pics please before you order. You might have DJM already; who knows...

I prefer BellTech but not everybody likes their spindles due to the track width being *slightly* wider than DJM. It's never been an issue for me but if you're running super tight tire clearance to fender lip it could be an issue.

Richard
Yeah I actually looked at Belltech and i May go with that and a set of shocks while I’m at it

Reaction score
Here are a couple. I need to take the cover plate off and see if there are markings, but you can see where the spindle broke. Crazy stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Looks like you just need to replace the spindle, and you should be good to go.