BIG BLOCK HEADERS FOR '94 4x4??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vettepilot

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm putting a big block in my 1994 GMC 4x4 pickup, and desperately need header options. I think I would like to go with intermediate length on this one, but will entertain all options.

Due to the obvious nasty hassle of returning headers that don't fit, (plus the problem of not dinging/scratching them up trying to see IF they fit), I am trying to find headers that are PROVEN to work. I am able to do easy mods like slight frame notching, and will probably go with a remote oil filter mounting. I would rather not get into modifying the headers themselves though.

I would GREATLY appreciate help on this question. Hours of web searching has not turned up anything for certain.

Help??
Thanks!!
Vettepilot

Vettepilot

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man. I'm really surprised at not getting a single response. I'm sure someone must have installed a big block and wanted to put good exhaust on it...

???

Vettepilotm

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not. However, I have a friend with a '97 K2500 7.4L who did. He bought the truck when it was only two or three years old--so right around Y2K.

He paid REAL money for "Gale Banks" headers. They're long discontinued. No doubt he had a name-brand header manufacturer custom-package headers for him, I don't believe he made them in-house. Maybe someone knows who actually produced "Gale Banks" headers.

My buddy said he got more benefit from scrapping the original muffler for a pair of aftermarket mufflers, than he did from the headers. The OEM muffler has big inlet and outlet tubes, but they neck-down, the internal tubes are tiny and restrictive.

MY 97 7.4L is unlikely to get headers, and the OEM muffler was long-gone when I bought the truck.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I have no experience with any of these, I don't own a big block truck.

I just Googled around a little and found out that JBA makes long tube headers which they claim will fit two or four wheel drive 7.4L trucks from '88-'98. Part numbers 6822S (raw stainless), 6822SJS (stainless, silver ceramic coated), and 6822SJT (stainless, titanium ceramic coated). The raw stainless ones have a couple reviews on Summit which state that they fit K2500s. JBA seems to have a pretty decent reputation here, I don't recall ever reading that anyone had an issue with JBA headers. Not sure I've ever seen someone buy them for a 7.4L, though.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/jba-6822s

Vettepilot

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, thanks! Those are too pricey for me, but on that page I found some Hedmans for half that price that look like they might work. I've placed a message asking to be sure.

I've used cheaper headers for 50 years with great luck. There's just some tricks ya have to adhere to, then they've been trouble free for me...

Thanks for the responses!!
Vettepilot

Truckracer

Reaction score
Not a lot of choices for big block headers, and only one I know of 2" primary's, Hookers @ $705.00.
I'm building a 96 with 496 that should make 675hp so the 2" is a must.