Big 3 cable upgrade crashes into ohm's law

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, that's one of the reasons I did my little upgrade. I'm feeding the fuse/relay box with 4GA to the power strip then 12GA to each fuse then the relays so, they all have dedicated protection.

What Amperage rating for the fuses did you use?
I have relays here and intend doing this mod. Fuses would be a good idea....

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What Amperage rating for the fuses did you use?
I have relays here and intend doing this mod. Fuses would be a good idea....
That all depends on what your load is. If you have 55 Watt low beams then take 55W X 2 = 110W/12VDC = 9.16Amps. Of course, it'll be less Amperage with higher voltage but, if you turn on your lights with engine off, you want to be covered. I like to use Amps X 1.5 so, I'd use a 15 Amp fuse. Then you want wire sized for that 15Amp draw.

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
those ground straps turn to dust. that's my complaint. haha. so no harm no foul with using larger than necessary wires, I had these on hand from lawnmowers. I cant believe the grounding straps on lawnmowers are much higher quality than gm's. I also took these apart and soldered them up with double wall heat shrink wraps. I have no idea how long one of those braided wires will actually last but it goes against everything I know about wiring.... exposed to everything that it is and being copper bolted to steel its galvanic reaction is probably actually what destroys them. everyone of them that I tugged on in my burb split in 2 with little resistance. I replaced them before they left us stranded. it didn't cost me anything but some time, solder and shrink wraps.

Soy based wiring! is there any labels stateing such? its so far from green tech and rather a by product from another DIRTY industry. my house is surrounded by soy beans and we're I mean my family and I are organic growers. lol. can you picture the next gen electric vehicles wired up with it? I picture exploding cars just like the exploding lithium ion battery in cheap vapes.... lol.

I know GM just started using the soy wiring with the 2019? model year.... whenever they stopped providing a transmission dipstick.

I'm definitely not an expert, I'm just trying to get educated in what I like or need to know. and also educated in facts of why I wont buy a new vehicle. haha.

Cheers!

Al
My frame to body grounds haven’t been hooked up for years, probably since the body lift was installed. I haven’t noticed any issues.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My frame to body grounds haven’t been hooked up for years, probably since the body lift was installed. I haven’t noticed any issues.
There go those stupid engineers again, designing stuff and wasting money right there under the accountant's noses! :D

In all seriousness, the current will seek its ground somewhere. When its designed path no longer exists or resistance has become too great, it will ground elsewhere. Whether or not something gets damaged in the process is luck of the draw. Also whether it continues to ground through that same path is luck of the draw.

Cliff notes: hook the factory grounds back up.

Richard

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There go those stupid engineers again, designing stuff and wasting money right there under the accountant's noses! :D

In all seriousness, the current will seek its ground somewhere. When its designed path no longer exists or resistance has become too great, it will ground elsewhere. Whether or not something gets damaged in the process is luck of the draw. Also whether it continues to ground through that same path is luck of the draw.

Richard
It’s on my list. Thanks.

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Richard
Also, I’m not familiar with all the frame to body mounts. I found one on the passenger side in the front wheel well. Do you know where the others are? I’ve looked to no avail. Thanks in advance.

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also, I’m not familiar with all the frame to body mounts. I found one on the passenger side in the front wheel well. Do you know where the others are? I’ve looked to no avail. Thanks in advance.
1994 k1500

88monteSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
those ground straps turn to dust. that's my complaint. haha. so no harm no foul with using larger than necessary wires, I had these on hand from lawnmowers. I cant believe the grounding straps on lawnmowers are much higher quality than gm's. I also took these apart and soldered them up with double wall heat shrink wraps. I have no idea how long one of those braided wires will actually last but it goes against everything I know about wiring.... exposed to everything that it is and being copper bolted to steel its galvanic reaction is probably actually what destroys them. everyone of them that I tugged on in my burb split in 2 with little resistance. I replaced them before they left us stranded. it didn't cost me anything but some time, solder and shrink wraps.

Soy based wiring! is there any labels stateing such? its so far from green tech and rather a by product from another DIRTY industry. my house is surrounded by soy beans and we're I mean my family and I are organic growers. lol. can you picture the next gen electric vehicles wired up with it? I picture exploding cars just like the exploding lithium ion battery in cheap vapes.... lol.

I know GM just started using the soy wiring with the 2019? model year.... whenever they stopped providing a transmission dipstick.

I'm definitely not an expert, I'm just trying to get educated in what I like or need to know. and also educated in facts of why I wont buy a new vehicle. haha.

Cheers!

Al
Friend of mine is a toyota tech in farm country. He told us about a prius that came in for wire replacement 3 times because rodents kept eating them. They finally told the owner to surround the car with mousetraps.
Here's the one I use. Pulled from a camaro service manual.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk