Best shocks for potholes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
They have more of a controlled ride, if that makes any sense, and I've felt that they ride better than the Bilstein 4600's. Plus, they aren't too expensive either from RockAuto, as opposed to the Bilstein's.

Here's some info on their website: https://www.kyb.com/products/gas-a-just/

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was on the verge of going with the Bilstein B6 4600 shocks for my stock '93 C1500 truck (with oversize tires, don't know if that matters). But I'm having second thoughts because they are a more heavy-duty shock which I believe is stiffer than say OE shocks. I do want to upgrade, but a comfortable ride (over potholes, severe bumps, etc.) is a priority. Also, I really don't know how my struts play into all this. Suggestions?
The Z71 package came with the Bilsteins. There’s Bilsteins and then there is everybody else……

Your truck doesn’t have struts.

If you have big tires they roll through bumps easier than smaller tires, but big tires SIGNIFICANTLY increase unsprung weight. And that unsprung weight may make the truck ride feel more rough. It’s a 2wd pickup, using a basic suspension GM designed in the 60’s with improvements. It’s going to ride like a pickup regardless.

Bilsteins will also last longer than any other truck shock I’ve had experience with.

David Barry

Reaction score
I have 18" wheels and had 31.5" total diameter tires that worked well with poor tuning radius. I dropped down to 31" Cooper Evolutions and feel a lot more bumps. Hard to believe that .5" would make much difference. I believe these Coopers have a stiff sidewall, though. Yeah, I got educated on the struts. I'm late to truck world. Unsprung weight has been confusing to me. So, do heavy weight shocks counteract it? Very well? Seems that most are sold on Bilsteins.