Best radiator for the $$$

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought one of the liliand global ones from rockauto for my S10 and I've been completely happy with it. Unfortunately the tyc that I bought for the dually was leaking at one of the tanks.

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got a all alluminum one from rock auto about 2 years ago and it’s still working great. I believe it was $180 if I remember right. If I were you I would deffinatly get the biggest and best one you can get in there you won’t regret it.

Iv had lots of issues with that little extra outlet below the radiator cap. I got sick
Of always keeping extras in my tool box. Some lasted 3 months sometimes they lasted close to a year.

I finally got the heaviest heater hose I could find and a carriage bolt that fit in it snugly. Then I used RTV to seal the bolt into the end and I still put a hose clamp over the bolt. And I just hose clamped the other end to the outlet. I’m at about 6 months and so far it seems to Be holding up well.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I replaced mine a year ago in my 99' 2 door Tahoe with one from Napa. The only issue I've had with it was that most replacement radiators have and extra outlet below the radiator cap that I believe is for a Suburban or Tahoe with rear heat/air. If you don't need this, they put a cheap rubber plug and hose clamp on it....well the plug disintegrated and shot hot coolant all over the engine. Luckily i had just pulled into the garage and killed it. I replaced the plug and so far, no issues. If I had it to do over again I'd buy an AC Delco radiator that is absolutely correct in every way.
If money is no object, get a Be Cool aluminum radiator. I've had a couple in older Corvette"s I've had and they were fantastic!! They are pretty pricey though!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I used this Delco one on my 98 (transmission and engine oil cooler ports) and it didn’t have the extra port.

One less thing to worry about, you know.

You must be registered for see images attach

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I replaced mine a year ago in my 99' 2 door Tahoe with one from Napa. The only issue I've had with it was that most replacement radiators have and extra outlet below the radiator cap that I believe is for a Suburban or Tahoe with rear heat/air. If you don't need this, they put a cheap rubber plug and hose clamp on it....well the plug disintegrated and shot hot coolant all over the engine. Luckily i had just pulled into the garage and killed it. I replaced the plug and so far, no issues. If I had it to do over again I'd buy an AC Delco radiator that is absolutely correct in every way.
If money is no object, get a Be Cool aluminum radiator. I've had a couple in older Corvette"s I've had and they were fantastic!! They are pretty pricey though!

I also have a Napa radiator. I believe it’s a Spectra and I’m happy with it for it to be a plastic tank. My little rubber plug is fixing to pop as well. I need to figure something out on that.

Wilecoyote

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

mtl111

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I also have a Napa radiator. I believe it’s a Spectra and I’m happy with it for it to be a plastic tank. My little rubber plug is fixing to pop as well. I need to figure something out on that.
The original plugs were crap. Went in to my local store and they gave me a pack of 2 Coolant Bypass Plugs. Don't have the part number or the inside diameter but they have several sizes.
Yes, I pitched a fit about the lack of quality. Seems like most major parts stores have nothing but subpar parts from China. I try to buy just GM and AC Delco....although some of those are made in China too, at least they're to GM spec.

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The original plugs were crap. Went in to my local store and they gave me a pack of 2 Coolant Bypass Plugs. Don't have the part number or the inside diameter but they have several sizes.
Yes, I pitched a fit about the lack of quality. Seems like most major parts stores have nothing but subpar parts from China. I try to buy just GM and AC Delco....although some of those are made in China too, at least they're to GM spec.

So the ones you bought are better quality? I’d rather not spray coolant one day and poison all the dogs in the county.

mtl111

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The original seemed like they were made out of rubber. These coolant bypass plugs look more like a type of silicone. I've had the new ones on for awhile now with no issues. Napa has them

mtl111

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I could get this/same core size as mine........

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...8/chevrolet/k1500-pickup-4wd?q=radiator&pos=2

or this one w another inch of core for a few more dollars.....

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...8/chevrolet/k1500-pickup-4wd?q=radiator&pos=3

what to do? anything wrong w more capacity, anyone know about Murray? are they any good?
I have no experience with that brand or any Oreillys radiators, I'm sure they're fine. If you look closely at the pics of both of those, notice the rubber plug with the hose clamp...its below the where the radiator cap goes. This is what we were talking about having an issue with. If that port is unused and plugged like they have it, it can possibly fail at some point like mine did. Thats why I would get an AC Delco radiator, theirs are correct and don't have this unless your vehicle requires it.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought the same part # from Amazon as @east302 , it was made in Mexico and is thinner than the stock one, basically it is the non AC equipped radiator. Luckily I found a NOS 96 US made one on ebay for my 98 and just used adapters for the transmission lines to bolt in and returned the new one to Amazon. Spectra makes the correct sized one but cross your fingers on it not leaking.