Best place to pass Amp power wire into cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oilspot

Reaction score
I'm doing a ton of cleanup work in my engine compartment while I'm doing headgaskets. Down the road I plan to add a amp/ soundsystem.
While cleaning I took the overflow bottle out. I figure thats roughly the area that would work best to pass a 4ga or larger wire for a amp(s).
So whats worked well for the people that have already tackled this.
Advice would also be nice to ensure that I don't drill a damn hole through my heater core or anything else that wouldn't enjoy having a hole bored through it!!!

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My wire passes through next to the steering column. My amp sits under the drivers seat, on a 1/2 plywood board painted black. Wires to and from the amp, run under the drivers side kick panel, door jam plastic on the floor, and exit to and from the amp, then go back under the door jam, floor plastic panel, then exit that to the sub box. The supply wire crosses over under the hood in that slot that is on the radiator fan shroud. When I did electric fan swap, I welded a chanel for the wire.
You must be registered for see images attach

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I have mine going through the firewall a few inches under the heater core lines, then following the step rail to the back.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wire passes through next to the steering column.
Mine too, I ran the wire from the battery through an in-line fuse and along the firewall to the steering column. In the pic, the red wire is for my amp and the brown wire goes from the ignition switch to my WBO2 at exhaust Y collector. Don't pay any attention to my filthy coolant reservoir, it's 32 years old, ha ha.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
+1 for under the heater core. I ran the audio lines on the drivers side, and the power on the passengers side to avoid interference (i know its not much of a consideration these days, but there's a right way to do things for a reason). Pull the carpet back a few inches and drill, just make sure you're lower than the radiator reservoir and the A/C condenser. You'll also want to either install a grommet, or seal it with silicone or you'll get some water creeping in down the line. You'll be able to run the wire under the carpet and into the trim channel under the sill plate that way and run it under the rear seat. I pulled my rear seat out and put my amps under my down firing sub box, but you can fit an amp under the rear seat on the driver's side IIRC, or under the front seats depending on the size.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's the right way. Good job.
Thanks for the confirmation. Probably wouldn't have any issues with my piddly little 1400W system, but again, why do it the wrong way?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I'm running about 1200w. But in a single cab. I don't need much more. I'm old.

One amp for a single DVC 10" @ 2 ohm & another for 2 sets of 6.5" components @ 4 ohm.
4g for the amps' power, 2g for the their grounds & 12g for all the speakers.
Would of liked to have used 2g for the power, but Holy Crap is that stuff ever expensive!
Power & speaker wires are on the opposite sides of the cab.
Power is through the cab near the lower right corner of the heater core. Pulled the carpet back & drilled from inside the cab. Measured a bunch of times first. Grommet for the hole.
No weird interference noises or speaker buzz.
Lights don't pulse. Although the back window will flex to the beat!
...and that's with no cap!

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm running about 1200w. But in a single cab. I don't need much more. I'm old.

One amp for a single DVC 10" @ 2 ohm & another for 2 sets of 6.5" components @ 4 ohm.
4g for the amps' power, 2g for the their grounds & 12g for all the speakers.
Would of liked to have used 2g for the power, but Holy Crap is that stuff ever expensive!
Power & speaker wires are on the opposite sides of the cab.
No weird interference noises or speaker buzz.
Lights don't pulse. Although the back window will flex to the beat!
...and that's with no cap!
I run 2000W in my dodge caliber, that's about where I like it, but not enough room in the extended cab for any more really. Might do a little more in my Tahoe when I get her up and running