Best Muffler/Setup for a ‘96 350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Benes

Reaction score
I have a 1996 Chevy K1500 with a 350. I plan on upgrading the exhaust soon on it. I want something that is loud and powerful, but not to the point where it is annoying to drive for longer than an hour. What do you guys recommend? I’m open to anything as long as it will still pass state safety and emissions.

Edit: I plan on installing shorty headers soon as well.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Gibson. They make nice shorty headers and cat-back systems. Magnaflow for the Y-pipe/cats. Slightly intoxicated otherwise I'd provide some links for your specific application. Also greetings from a fellow Missourian. :cheers:

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I have a Gibson on my Yukon. Has headers and no cats, but sounds pretty good. Can hear it at idle, but when stomping on it, its not overpowering.

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I run shorty headers , factory Y pipe, No cat , 3" midpipe , 3 " SISO Flowmaster 40 series DELTA FLOW mounted in the factory location, factory style 3 " tailpipe running over the axle dumping at the factory dump location behind the rear passenger tire. I love it , enough rumble to know its not stock at idle , a liveable drone in the cab at highway speeds and you can hear the radio fine or have a conversation. Get on it and you hear a nice growl (not overbearing) . This is a Flowmaster 40 series DELTA FLOW (quieter) , not a regular 40 series which is louder and ALOT of guys run who lean to the louder end of things .

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Cats or no cats?

Cats - 20" case Dynomax Ultraflow

No Cats - 24" case Dynomax Ultraflow

If you want louder the 14" case will get you there. I had a '95 RCSB 350TBI with Flowtech headers, custom y-pipe with a Flowmaster merge, and a 14" case Ultraflow, sounded mean.

The 20" case I put on my 1998 Z71 ECSB was perfect on the outside, and almost stock quiet on the inside.

Bombader

Reaction score
I've always liked Flowmasters I thought they sounded good and like was stated earlier if you get the Delta flow it's a little bit quieter and they have a few different options 40 series 50 series and Delta flow models of each that are supposed to be a little quieter in the cab. I currently have a generic MagnaFlow on my Camaro and it's way too quiet and I tried to buy a MagnaFlow catalytic converter for my truck and they did some weird price gouging part number switching b******* so I'm not too happy with them and I can't recommend their brand name

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've always liked Flowmasters I thought they sounded good and like was stated earlier if you get the Delta flow it's a little bit quieter and they have a few different options 40 series 50 series and Delta flow models of each that are supposed to be a little quieter in the cab. I currently have a generic MagnaFlow on my Camaro and it's way too quiet and I tried to buy a MagnaFlow catalytic converter for my truck and they did some weird price gouging part number switching b******* so I'm not too happy with them and I can't recommend their brand name

Probably has to do with you living in California and something with California laws. When I go to sell a replacement cat the first question is if the vehicle is a California one.

As for Magnaflow..Been running them for years. They last forever and sound great. Very quiet at cruising speed yet open up when you put your foot into it. Rasp or drone is non existant with them.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very quiet at cruising speed yet open up when you put your foot into it. Rasp or drone is non existant with them.
Have ever run a single 3" Borla Pro XS compared to the Magnaflow? I like mine although it seems to have a little drone at ~65MPH with my little high flow cat. I haven't tried it without - yet.