Best mud tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedneckWithPaychecks

454/350 x (4x4)²
Reaction score
Small update: The Maxxis tires work nice on dirt, and was happy through a small creek (really shallow, but the ooze at the bottom makes it deeper than most would think). Now for pure mud, and not sandy rock infested water, I can't really test. The only swamps I know of near me are those flooded forest type stuff, I think its called a Coniferous Swamp, and those are pure muck and likely 20 foot deep and on private land.
This is accumulated in the past few days of me taking time after work to go out to my land and having fun with the truck.

BonestockK1500

LT265/75/R16
Reaction score
Enjoy..MT channel promoting a rock lighting company’s show truck this morning…not sure about you but where I come from those directional boggers in the background are mounted on that ford backwards!! thanks for the joke MT!

You must be registered for see images attach

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can run boggers backwards to help with cupping on the street.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
You can run boggers backwards to help with cupping on the street.
You can also run street tires to fix that problem...:33:

Whats more embarrassing, running boggers backwards on 28" wheels and having everybody telling you they are backwards and laughing behind your back because they know it'll never see a gravel driveway or running street tires with everybody pointing and laughing at you because your running street tires on a 30" lifted truck that everybody knows will never see a gravel driveway?

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think it’s stupid, you pretty much know the wear issues and ride quality that comes with boggers .

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've known people who run the back tires backwards to help get through mud pits, let's them rock back and forth and reposition easier. This joker reminds me of things like the Carolina squat or stanced cars, where something that actually has a purpose in motorsports gets vaguely copied on a street rig for clout.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not mud tires, but I love the Pathfinder All Terrain tires from Discount Tire. Great aggressive tread and grips into everything really well. I found a set of 4 at my local salvage yard last year for $370. The salvage yard had a bunch of tires they were trying to get rid of, so I talked them down to $250 and got them. Unfortunately, Discount Tire branded tires are made by Kuhmo which aren't known for their build quality and it shows. 2/4 tires are 7/32 and the other 2 are 10/32 and 11/32 respectively so I'll probably get another set next year. I replaced one tire bc it was down to 5/32 so far and the 7/32 tires are dry rotting as well. Still awesome tires for the price, but I wouldn't buy these tires new. I prefer to buy tires used bc of how much money you can save and while 265/75/R16 are getting more difficult to find, you can still find them if you look hard enough.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Discount Tire branded tires are made by Kuhmo which aren't known for their build quality and it shows.
Kumho's 190ish treadwear performance tires have a pretty good reputation. I have some on my Mustang right now, and they're a good tire, but I don't have any experience with their rough terrain tires.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Kumho's 190ish treadwear performance tires have a pretty good reputation. I have some on my Mustang right now, and they're a good tire, but I don't have any experience with their rough terrain tires.

It depends on what it is. Some people have great experiences with Kuhmo tires and I'm glad you do. Others have absolutely terrible experiences with Kuhmo stating uneven wear, premature wear, and other problems. I love my tires for what they are, but would not recommend buying these new. I'm a little disappointed that my oldest tire of the set is from 2019 and is dry rotting already. My Grandma's Michelin tires off her 2017 Ford Escape have no dry rot even though her tires are dated from 2016 (I told my Grandma to replace them ASAP). I believe that there are better tires out there of better build quality if you're going to buy new.

I personally choose to buy my tires used. Tires have next to no resale value even when slightly used so I try to look for the date code and condition of the tires and try to talk down the seller reasonably. Because my tires are wearing like they are, I can get at least another year out of them and then I'll be tire shopping again. Still the best $250 I've spent.

Jwelar

Reaction score
I ran the khumo kl71 on my Jeep for MANY years. Those were a beast in the rocks and decent in sand. Only burped em once on a v-notch/ledge climb out in Superstition.

Tread life was good but they were loud. Ride wasn’t too bad. Many comments about the Jeep being on tonka tires over the years.

Having said that I may be looking at Milestar patagonias for my next set if I can figure out this lift I want to put on the suburban.