Best exhaust setup for a vortec 5.7??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keigan Pettit

Reaction score
I just got my motor rebuilt with a 480/215/210@110 cam and flat tops it is still roller 1800-2000 stall what the cam recommended. Trans rebuilt with beast shell upgraded servo and sungear and od bands red line clutches. Should be around 300 hp just guessing. So now I'm down to what exhaust will be best? It is a 4wd and is like some mid length headers atleast and I will go get the exhaust done afterwards. I do still have egr for now and plan to swap to a marine intake later but I need this to work for now any help is greatly appreciated!! It is a 98 k1500 suburban

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Best is a matter of opinion for the most part. If its performance you want, then you want a free flowing exhaust system. A muffler you can look and see straight through will flow the best. High flow cats are a must, and a good set of headers. Long tube headers are better at high RPMs and shorty headers are better at low RPMs. Long tubes will flow more exhaust than shortys. As for brands, well if it sound you want then flowmasters are good for that. I have a 97 5.7L Vortec with about 325 HP. I have Summit shortys, gutted my cats, and 24 inch Thrush old school glass packs with true dual exhaust. I get a lot of comps on how the truck sounds all of the time. A X pipe is a good option also. If you want stainless exhaust, the Magnaflow, Borla, SLP are all good choices. An engine is simply a big air compressor, the more air-fuel, you can get into it, and exhaust out of it, the more power it will make.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On my 4x4 this is my setup I'm putting together.

Summit shorties
Custom bent 2.5" pipes
Thunderbolt 2.5" high flow cats
Dual in/out thrush welded muffler

This gives a true 2.5" dual setup to a single muffler. You could also run a dual in/single out muffler if you wanted to retail the single exhaust exit.

I went with the shorties for ease of install on the 4x4 and the price was right at $200 with free shipping. I would advise getting some better gaskets though.

Coveman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my burb came with the 3 inch single exhaust, stay away from “aluminized steel” products if you see any road salt, my magnaflow fell apart in about 3 years.

i replaced it with a borla ss straight thru oval muffler, the resonance is pretty annoying thou.

Keigan Pettit

Reaction score
Kenny kinda alluded to some questions that you need to answer. Do you have emissions? Are you willing to do header back? How loud can you tolerate?
I have no emissions. I'm 4x4 I prefer some shorties. I bought some stainless ones but they only fit 2wd. I have a 480/230/230 cam 2100 stall. I don't want it really loud.

Keigan Pettit

Reaction score
On my 4x4 this is my setup I'm putting together.

Summit shorties
Custom bent 2.5" pipes
Thunderbolt 2.5" high flow cats
Dual in/out thrush welded muffler

This gives a true 2.5" dual setup to a single muffler. You could also run a dual in/single out muffler if you wanted to retail the single exhaust exit.

I went with the shorties for ease of install on the 4x4 and the price was right at $200 with free shipping. I would advise getting some better gaskets though.
What's the part number and price on those headers? I bought some from a guy of marketplace on Facebook and they ended up being 2wd they hit my oil cooler and my front driveshaft.

Keigan Pettit

Reaction score
Best is a matter of opinion for the most part. If its performance you want, then you want a free flowing exhaust system. A muffler you can look and see straight through will flow the best. High flow cats are a must, and a good set of headers. Long tube headers are better at high RPMs and shorty headers are better at low RPMs. Long tubes will flow more exhaust than shortys. As for brands, well if it sound you want then flowmasters are good for that. I have a 97 5.7L Vortec with about 325 HP. I have Summit shortys, gutted my cats, and 24 inch Thrush old school glass packs with true dual exhaust. I get a lot of comps on how the truck sounds all of the time. A X pipe is a good option also. If you want stainless exhaust, the Magnaflow, Borla, SLP are all good choices. An engine is simply a big air compressor, the more air-fuel, you can get into it, and exhaust out of it, the more power it will make.
I have deleted cats on the ecm

Keigan Pettit

Reaction score
To update I had the tuner delete my smog and rear o2s no vac emissions. No egr. Cam ended up being a 480/230/230@110 stall locked up at 1200. Put in my motor and the front seal on the teams leaked( just had it rebuilt with 0 miles) so now I gotta take it down next...

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What's the part number and price on those headers? I bought some from a guy of marketplace on Facebook and they ended up being 2wd they hit my oil cooler and my front driveshaft.

Here they are
You must be registered for see images attach