Best crate 383 for a 88 single cab C1500 that came with a L05?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slade88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hey y’all I’m looking for a good affordable 383 that will fit in my single cab 88 Silverado C1500.

My main questions are as follows:

Can I use any Chevy 383? Or do I have to use one specifically made for my truck? I plan on ditching TBI and switching to carb with a HEI

Are all 350/383 engine mounts the same?

I’m pretty dead set on a 383 for my application

I’d also like to find something that will ship relatively quick and be decently affordable with good torque and horsepower, until I can afford it I’m going to run it with the 700R4 and not gun it until I get the trans rebuilt

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Any" SBC 383 will "fit". Older, 2-piece rear main seal blocks will need a different flywheel/flexplate. Cylinder heads and intake manifold wouldn't have to be TBI-spec (TBI uses 6-bolt intake manifold with goofy bolt angles on center two) but you'd have to have the '69-newer accessory bolt holes on the ends of the heads.

Make sure the intake manifold you select has the bosses for the struts/braces used on the A/C compressor, belt tensioner, and alternator.

Use a torsional damper that matches the timing pointer.

Emissions testing regulations may/may not frown on the conversion.

If buying a rebuilt engine, verify the warranty terms. Who has to install it? Who pays for shipping a defective engine back to the rebuilder? Who pays for parts/labor/shop supplies on a locally-fixed defective engine? Do they pay the REAL shop rate, or do they pay 1980s shop rates, and you have to pay the rest? Do they pay for lost fluids/filters/gaskets?

If you're not going to "gun" the engine, you'd better have the rings seated on a dyno. Normally, you'd whack the throttle open (open throttle/heavy load, but restricted RPM--3500-ish) several times to get the rings seated.

Last edited: