Best collector gaskets that will last!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97K1500Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1997 K1500 5.7 Vortec.
Summit / Flowtech shorty headers
Flowmaster headpipes and high flow cats.

What collector gaskets have you had success with?

My passenger side just started leaking under load.

With my old headers I ended up having collectors welded. That worked great until my headers need replaced. Get your wallet out ;-)

brutpwr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The all metal aluminum or copper ones can work well but are expensive. The Mr. Gasket or Fel Pro ones reinforced with thin metal sandwiched between the paper can work well if your collectors are flat and your bolts don't get loose for less money.

97K1500Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The all metal aluminum or copper ones can work well but are expensive. The Mr. Gasket or Fel Pro ones reinforced with thin metal sandwiched between the paper can work well if your collectors are flat and your bolts don't get loose for less money.

They are shorty headers with a round ball on header end and cup on flange. Not the long tube header flange that’s flat. I’ve seen the mls mr gasket and Percy aluminum ones. My headers are 2.50” collectors. Guessing copper RTV won’t hold up to header temps. The stock collector gaskets lasted maybe 10k miles.

Last edited:

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
I edelbrock shortys and replace mine every year with factory ones...use bolts with spring to keep the bolts tight all the time

Ken K

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have looked into "V" bands. Once welded in place, they sure are easy to service. The LS community are using these will turbos all day with no leaks.

upper_tanker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have Percy's gaskets on my L31 with OBX longtubes. Have had them on for about 5k miles now. I've tried to re-tighten them a few times, but they're still all very tight each time I try.

97K1500Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Finally got under truck and realized there are no gaskets. Just metal to metal.

Checked bolts and all were a little loose even though they were double nutted. Cranked all 3 nuts tight on each collector and it’s as quiet as new [emoji106]

97K1500Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I edelbrock shortys and replace mine every year with factory ones...use bolts with spring to keep the bolts tight all the time

Link to the bolts with springs? They actually work?

On a related note I bought proform locking header bolts and they have been holding tight!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BF2Y0EO/ref=cm_cr_srp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

With the standard non locking bolts I would have to retighten every few months. Forgot for a year and they loosened up to much I blew a header gasket!

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
they are factory bolts with factory header/collector gaskets...you might find something in the help section at the parts store