Best Coil For 1997 7.4L Vortec?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seems MSD and other after market coils have a pretty bad rap these days.
What is a good high output coil? Just stick with the stock Delco?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Yes, OEM.... I can't count the number of times that I've heard of guys having issues with some aftermarket coil (usually MSD) and swapping the stock coil back in, or getting another one from the salvage yard.

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks. I've had a MSD on my '97 Tahoe 5.7l for a long time and no issues but it seems posts about issues with MSD and others are plentiful.
I'll stick with stock for this one I think!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ignition coils are a nice racket. A company takes a cheap, imported, ordinary coil...bolts it into an extruded anodized aluminum "heat sink" that does nothing useful, but looks fancy and expensive, and sells the result for Big Bucks.

Communist Chinese coils are to be avoided.

As said...the coil that came with your truck--or a suitable stock replacement--is as good or better than most of the hot-roddy crap.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There was a sticker I saw on an old Chevy years ago: Keep your GM all GM.
The OE spends millions on R&D. They equip their trucks and cars with the best, right parts.
Use AC Delco parts.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There was a sticker I saw on an old Chevy years ago: Keep your GM all GM.
The OE spends millions on R&D. They equip their trucks and cars with the best, right parts.
Use AC Delco parts.
Except AC Delco now usually means cheap communist garbage in a Delco box. Delphi is often better quality but still a gamble.

My 80 C10 and 83 G20 both had those stickers.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've heard good things about Davis Unified Ignition; I have one of their Screamin' Demon Coils and Dyna-modules to swap in when I do the dizzy, injectors and upper intake gasket