Best alternator upgrade ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geo's66

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Guys- my original (160,000 mile) alternator is squeaking upon startup- is this the beginning of its end? If so, what alt’ have you upgraded to? Nice stereo, did the “big 3” upgrade already(awesome), maybe better lights, etc going forward- thoughts?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oof. That's a LOT of coin for an alternator; and I thought $250 for a new NAPA AD244 was steep.

Yeah they're definitely up there, but they make incredibly impressive power numbers at idle. Which is something that not every aftermarket alternator company advertises, or puts priority on. 300A of continuous current is great, but it kind of sucks if you have to rev to 3500 RPM to get it.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah they're definitely up there, but they make incredibly impressive power numbers at idle. Which is something that not every aftermarket alternator company advertises, or puts priority on. 300A of continuous current is great, but it kind of sucks if you have to rev to 3500 RPM to get it.

I figured an AD244, a big 3 wiring kit, and an Odyssey battery and I'd be set; but now I guess I need to check out this company;

Chris Lee

Reaction score
Wow NAPA is out to lunch on that pricing imo

I bought a REMY 91653 (AD244) from Rockauto for $147 Canadian!

Great alternator btw. way better then the CS130 my truck had before

Geo's66

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so guys, if i buy this ad244, is there a different belt thats needed upon re-install? the ad244 seems sufficient i believe for my needs.. input appreciated!

Chris Lee

Reaction score
I think it depends on what truck you're putting it on.

My 94 6.5 uses a serpentine belt so the belt was the same.

the 6.5 uses a different size pulley so I had to swap my old pulley onto the ad244. diesels get their rpm signal from the alternator, so wrong sized pulley and your tach is off.

the 94 originally had a cs130 which is a different plug then the ad244 so I also bought the plug from rockauto for a few dollars. I believe if you have the cs130d its the same plug.

The ad244 is much bigger then the cs130 so I had to fab up a lower bracket for it, some people just bolt it right on, but I didnt like it being unsupported on the front. Im told if you're swapping it from a cs130d (passenger side vs drivers side) its easier. mine was on the drivers side.

If you post the year and engine of your truck Im sure others can chime in

Geo's66

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks- not looking to fab anything- I have a 96 Tahoe- what’s best for that?

THEFERMANATOR

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fyi, if you put an ad244 on a 5.7l vortec, you will have to do some finagling with the heater line that runs around the alternator and to the water pump. I just put one on mine and found I had to put a 1" spacer between the alternator bracket and the mounting tab for the heater tube to get it to clear the alternator housing. Also the battery lug is only 1/4" on the ad244 vs 3/8" on the cs-130D. But you cannot beat an ad244 for idle output. I've got one on my duraburb, and with all 6 lights on, front & rear airs going, aux electric fan on the condenser, and my travel trailer plugged in, voltage never drops below 13.8.