Best 12v Ign source under hood for e-fan.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright guys as the title states I am looking for the best place to pull 12v ign power for my e-fan. I was thinking the Fuel Pump Relay, but is there any other spot that would be better?

Edit: It does have a relay setup I am looking for key-on power for the relay setup.
Before I had mine wired to a switch on the dash, it was tapped into a wire behind the master cylinder. There was a group of 4-5 wires with a connector. Don’t know what they go to, that’s just where the guy put it. Only problem with a switch is remembering to turn it off. I left it on while fishing, but truck still cranked.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep my eye on my temp gauge when I'm towing something, and when my A/C is running. Turning it on is never an issue for me.
Agreed, it isn't an issue, until it is, then it has the potential to be catastrophic. Do you, maybe I'm just old and forgetful, but I will never have a main engine fan on anything other than a temp switch. Certainly an override so I can turn it on earlier, but I like the peace of mind that comes with knowing it'll cool itself when it needs to.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
I found a wire in the engine bay by the fuse block asm that is 12v only when key is on, I already had my 12v constant coming from the Aux A stud in the block asm. Only thing I am waiting on is the radiator hose adapter thing for my temp sensor, which should be here later this week. Then my e-fan swap is complete. And I can start focusing on redoing my suspension.

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Agreed, it isn't an issue, until it is, then it has the potential to be catastrophic. Do you, maybe I'm just old and forgetful, but I will never have a main engine fan on anything other than a temp switch. Certainly an override so I can turn it on earlier, but I like the peace of mind that comes with knowing it'll cool itself when it needs to.
I agree that it can happen. I had mine on a temp switch, then the connection went bad, so I had it wired to the dash. Also, it’s an auxiliary fan. I still have the original fan as the main one.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright guys as the title states I am looking for the best place to pull 12v ign power for my e-fan. I was thinking the Fuel Pump Relay, but is there any other spot that would be better?

Edit: It does have a relay setup I am looking for key-on power for the relay setup.
Didn't you say that you are an engineer at GM? Shouldn't you be telling us the answer to this question??

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
There should be some unused terminals that are key on hot but dead in accessory. You can tap into one of those. Or if you prefer tap into the power for the windshield wipers. And just to be clear you are referring to the power for the relay not the power for the fan right?

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
Didn't you say that you are an engineer at GM? Shouldn't you be telling us the answer to this question??
I am but we dont have wiring schematics for anything older than 1999 on our computer database, and all the paper ones are in my office I haven't been to in a year and a half.
There should be some unused terminals that are key on hot but dead in accessory. You can tap into one of those. Or if you prefer tap into the power for the windshield wipers. And just to be clear you are referring to the power for the relay not the power for the fan right?
Yes power for the relay not the fan. I found a key on power wire by the fuse block asm and tapped into that I'll get pics tomorrow.