Bed leaning to the right I've tried everything

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To the op.. take a good look at your springs and see if one looks differant from the other, shape wise, as you could have a weak or inverted leaf pack. Check your leaf spring bushings as well. Make sure both leaf packs have the same number of leafs in them, very common to remove the overload leaf(very thick straighter one on the bottom) when someone wants to lower it just an inch or so. If it's been this way since you bought it, check the spring hangers and spring shackles, measure the shackles the make sure they are the same. If they are aftermarket with multiple mounting holes, make sure they are in the same mounting holes left to right. That's all I can think of at the moment...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would guess saggy leaf spring as previously suggested. My loans a little on the driver side, but the "chevy lean" is common with old springs. On the driver side anyhow.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm also a collision tech and agree with the above comments about a concrete pad or shop floor not being level enough for chassis measurements other then just to get a general idea. Some frame damage can be really hard to spot with the naked eye and the damage is not always where it makes sense. Some of these old Chevy trucks that get popped in the rear end will bend the frame between the rear cab mount and the front bed mount in the "kick up" area and show little more then a dent on the rear bumper.

The bed to cab gap on the right side looks like it gets pinched towards the bottom as compared to the left side gap. I'm betting the right rail is down and comes up short on a length measurement..

A tweaked bed will straighten up to a squared up frame unless it's just seriously mangled. A twisted frame will twist a box and I'm seeing twisted box.

With a weak or broken spring the vehicle itself should still look square.

Last edited:

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I had air pressure dead nuts 35lbs all 4 corners, all tires sizes are the same, all 4 shocks are brand new bell tech, nothing in the bed. Still is off no matter what I do. I'll take it to a frame shop soon hopefully and see if they can find anything wrong
Ummm. No, shocks do not effect ride height. They are dampeners on these trucks. Nothing less, nothing more. What does effect ride height is springs(on 2wd) and torsion bars(on 4x4) up front and leaf springs and shackle length in the rear. Those are what effect the ride height on our trucks.

If you took the shocks off your truck I can guarantee it will not lower it when they get removed. Shocks are either hydraulic or gas charged. I and 99% of the people here can compress them down while not on a vehicle. Only exception to the above is helper shocks as they have springs on them to help with a load and struts as they again have a spring on them that creates the lift on vehicles that use struts so the shock its self still does NOT create the lift and or ride height of a vehicle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

You are correct with new, undamaged shocks.
Damaged or malfunctioning shocks can affect ride height I have seen it happen. A bunch of other factors can affect ride height also.
When I reply to a post I list all possible factors I can think of since I (and often the OP) do not know the history of all the parts on the vehicle.
In this case once the OP says he had all new shocks, that cause is off the board.

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
magimerlin has the right idea in post #11. I had put leveling shackles in my truck about '99. About 4 years ago my truck had a saggy tilted tail end like the op's. It turned out to be the bushings. I put new 1.5" drop shackles and some new leaf springs and fixed all that.

couldn't find an old pic of my truck tilted but is a pic of the busted bushings that caused it.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My 1500 likely has a bent frame. It sits higher on one side than the other and I do have a small dent on the bumper. I changed leaf packs, installed new bushings, torqued bolts on ground, same thing. I too have seen shocks affect ride height. My old C1500 sat higher after new shocks and I never jacked it up to change them.

GMTNZ

Reaction score
If you lift the rear end under the centre of the differential that should soon tell you if it’s a spring issue or a frame issue.
If it’s a spring it should level the tray and lean the axle when lifted, if it’s the frame the box will stay leaned. Since the bumper lines up with the tailgate, the box is probably sitting right on the frame. Just a thought.

Silvy

Reaction score
Did you ever find out what the problem was with your bed? I think its called the chevy lean that i keep hearing lol. I have the same problem on my stepside. I didn’t have the problem until I switched beds. The body line matches up perfectly on passeger side but drivers side is about an inch higher. The bed is in perfect shape and nothing visually that i or half dozen auto body technicians can see. Drives me crazy!!

BluC10

Reaction score
I'm also a collision tech and agree with the above comments about a concrete pad or shop floor not being level enough for chassis measurements other then just to get a general idea. Some frame damage can be really hard to spot with the naked eye and the damage is not always where it makes sense. Some of these old Chevy trucks that get popped in the rear end will bend the frame between the rear cab mount and the front bed mount in the "kick up" area and show little more then a dent on the rear bumper.

The bed to cab gap on the right side looks like it gets pinched towards the bottom as compared to the left side gap. I'm betting the right rail is down and comes up short on a length measurement..

A tweaked bed will straighten up to a squared up frame unless it's just seriously mangled. A twisted frame will twist a box and I'm seeing twisted box.

With a weak or broken spring the vehicle itself should still look square.

Supposed to be going into the Chevy dealer this week, my dad knows a guy that knows a guy that can look at it under the table. I will update the thread when I hear back from the dealer, thank you everyone for your input I'm hoping it's not too expensive

BluC10

Reaction score
Frame is bent, gonna get it fixed then she will be good to go not cheap but its what has to be done