Bed leaning to the right I've tried everything

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BluC10

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

So its is kind of hard to tell from the pictures, but this is my 96 I just did a 3/4 drop on (this is just the rear dropped in pics) before I lowered it the rear right always sagged a noticeable amount and I was hoping after doing the new hangars and shackles somehow it would magically go away....that didn't happen.

Front of the truck is dropped now as well and it still sags in the right rear. In the first picture you can kind of tell where it's coming from. The bed up by the cab has an even gap the whole way across but the farther back you go the lower the bed gets. I have took the truck to the spring shop and everything measured out and looked perfectly straight. Brand new bell tech shocks as well. When we took the bed off to do the drop it all looked good and couldn't see anything noticeably wrong. Anyone have any ideas at all?!?!?! Can beds "warp" to cause this?? The tailgate-bumper gap is the same all the way across if that helps. I'm so lost and I don't want to finish building this motor If something is seriously wrong with the truck.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Get it on a nice level surface and measure from the ground to the frame in the front and the rear. Obviously the front 2 points should measure the same and the rear 2 should measure the same. It could be a lazy spring or it could be a tweaked frame

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A ton of variables when measuring to the ground, not very accurate.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Close enough to point you in the right direction with it being that far off. Just do it on a flat concrete slab.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
A ton of variables when measuring to the ground, not very accurate.
Should at least give him a better idea of whats goin on at least. If its off and wont even out by jacking a corner up then maybe it needs to be taken to a frame shop. If you have a better idea feel free to chime in

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did in his other duplicate post. Go to a frame shop.
tire pressure, shocks, springs, bushings in either the front or rear can affect ride height.
Cargo, fuel volume, accessories, body mounts also can affect it. measuring to the ground does not account for any of these.
A tweaked bed will really mess up a diagnostic plan.
A tape measure will just show it's not right, it looks like he can see that already.
If a discrepancy is found how will you know if one side is low or the other is actually high or what is causing it?
I've straightened frames for over 30 years, sometimes the answer is not where we would expect it.

BluC10

Reaction score
I did in his other duplicate post. Go to a frame shop.
tire pressure, shocks, springs, bushings in either the front or rear can affect ride height.
Cargo, fuel volume, accessories, body mounts also can affect it. measuring to the ground does not account for any of these.
A tweaked bed will really mess up a diagnostic plan.
A tape measure will just show it's not right, it looks like he can see that already.
If a discrepancy is found how will you know if one side is low or the other is actually high or what is causing it?
I've straightened frames for over 30 years, sometimes the answer is not where we would expect it.

Yeah I had air pressure dead nuts 35lbs all 4 corners, all tires sizes are the same, all 4 shocks are brand new bell tech, nothing in the bed. Still is off no matter what I do. I'll take it to a frame shop soon hopefully and see if they can find anything wrong

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Damn duplicate posts. I was just saying thats where id start. Obviously its high on the rear passenger side but if it winds up low on the front drivers side then the frame probably isnt the problem and he should probably take a look at the springs on the drivers side. Now if its even in the front then he should probably have it checked out by a frame shop. Also shocks wont effect ride height.

To me thats like having a engine noise and taking it into a shop just to find out its low on oil or something that you couldve found at home.

Tiny Trucker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Umm yes shocks do affect ride height.

But yes taking measurements of various points on a flat slab of concrete will help him home remedy say a broken leaf, bent shackle or something, but I too would rather stick it on a chassis liner and make sure the frame is true.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Umm yes shocks do affect ride height.

But yes taking measurements of various points on a flat slab of concrete will help him home remedy say a broken leaf, bent shackle or something, but I too would rather stick it on a chassis liner and make sure the frame is true.
Ummm. No, shocks do not effect ride height. They are dampeners on these trucks. Nothing less, nothing more. What does effect ride height is springs(on 2wd) and torsion bars(on 4x4) up front and leaf springs and shackle length in the rear. Those are what effect the ride height on our trucks.

If you took the shocks off your truck I can guarantee it will not lower it when they get removed. Shocks are either hydraulic or gas charged. I and 99% of the people here can compress them down while not on a vehicle. Only exception to the above is helper shocks as they have springs on them to help with a load and struts as they again have a spring on them that creates the lift on vehicles that use struts so the shock its self still does NOT create the lift and or ride height of a vehicle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk