Battery Testers.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crookedaxle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The battery in my truck was bulging at the ends. I fully charged the battery and then left the high beams on for 1 hour. I then turned them off for an hour and then tried to start my truck. It slowly turned over 2 or 3 times and that was that. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out the battery is toast. My little ChiCom cheapy Amazon special $45 battery tester passes that battery with flying colors however. It also tells me my 3 year old 230cca lawn mower battery puts out 475cca's. It tell me my wife's new battery in her car is junk. It tells me a battery that was completely dead and frozen is good after I trickle charged it inside. Ya, I don't trust this POS for anything after playing around with it over the weekend. I'm sending it back. How are these things supposed to check cca's anyways just by using electronics? Why does it ask if the battery being tested is in the vehicle or not? It's not a load tester. What tricks are you guys using to determine battery health? My headlight test I did, in my experience you should be able to leave your headlights on for 4-5 hours and still be able to start your truck with our battery size? Agree? Not that that's good for your battery, just basing that on times I've left my lights on by mistake before.

90 Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Next time you have battery problems, get a cheap volt meter , make sure the battery is charged , then hook up the meter and watch the voltage drop with nothing on...it will drop then level off ( voltage wise)

If it continues to drop, you have a short or a weak or bad cell.

Doug in P.R.:cool: