Battery Draining on 1994 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

codyw20

Reaction score
Hello all, I have joined the GMT400 club with a 1994 K1500 ECSB. I thought it had a bad battery but it appears something is actually draining it while it sits. Brought a brand new one and it was completely dead in 3 days. Drives fine for a day or two always charging it up fine, so not the alternator.

I am wondering if it is the aftermarket keyless entry system. This thing still lights up but does not work at all. And I notice when it lights up the dome light will not turn off. The PO pulled the fuse so the dome would not stay on. When trying to fix it, I noticed the dome would work great when the keyless entry light flicked off (I guess it has a short). When it turned back on the dome would never turn off. The door locks also do not work, no power to them.

Do you all think I am on to something, or have you seen other things stay "on" and drain the battery? If you think this might be it can I just go under the dash and disconnect the damn thing? I have no interest in making the keyless entry work. What do y'all think?

codyw20

Reaction score
I updated my Dome light thread and should probably post it here too. I got under the dash and found the motion sensor part of the keyless entry system. I unplugged this but the little indicator light on the dash stayed on and some light still stayed on. I then found some fuses that were embedded into the wiring (not factory looking), a 15 and 20 amp. I unplugged the 20 amp and this took the power from the alarm motion module and the dash indicator light. AND BAMM, dome light works as it should now and the door locks work again.

Hopefully this is the source of my parasite battery drain as well. I did not measure amps being drained before doing this so I can't just hook up a reader and tell yet. We will see, so if you have time please post any other advice you might have. I will update this thread in a few days to see if this was the cause of battery drain.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cool I hope it took care of the problem

Guys here’s a good video that can help many of us.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited: