Battery drain - cause?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
LPG is Liquified Petroluem Gas - I think your side of the pond it's propane or possibly Autogas. Here it's referred to as 'gas' - but your side of the pond that has a different meaning.

The junction box is on the passenger side and is bolted to a vertical face on the fan shroud upper half. Prise the cover off and the terminals are studs with nuts which are 13mm across the flats. If you don't recognise it from that description then safe to assume it's not a GM fitment. (It has something like 'safe fuse' or slow fuse' moulded onto it and there are some kind of something (fuses?) between some of the terminals). Definitely need to dig into it.
Seems like I got the correct alternator lead though. Less rain forecast tomorrow and as we're in lockdown here, I'll hopefully get more done tomorrow.
Thanks for the help so far - appreciated.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
LPG is Liquified Petroluem Gas - I think your side of the pond it's propane or possibly Autogas. Here it's referred to as 'gas' - but your side of the pond that has a different meaning.

The junction box is on the passenger side and is bolted to a vertical face on the fan shroud upper half. Prise the cover off and the terminals are studs with nuts which are 13mm across the flats. If you don't recognise it from that description then safe to assume it's not a GM fitment. (It has something like 'safe fuse' or slow fuse' moulded onto it and there are some kind of something (fuses?) between some of the terminals). Definitely need to dig into it.
Seems like I got the correct alternator lead though. Less rain forecast tomorrow and as we're in lockdown here, I'll hopefully get more done tomorrow.
Thanks for the help so far - appreciated.
Ok, that's what I thought it meant, but wasn't aware that it would require changes to the main electrical circuit for a simple fuel conversion, might be a requirement for European laws, so it may be factory, but that certainly isn't anything that I've seen on my '97 k1500. Would you mind sending me a p/n if you can spot it? It'd be nice to fuse my alternator output since I've got aftermarket amps installed and I'm going to put some lights on too, might be able to modify it for my uses and make it look more stock. Either way, glad to help.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, that's what I thought it meant, but wasn't aware that it would require changes to the main electrical circuit for a simple fuel conversion, might be a requirement for European laws, so it may be factory, but that certainly isn't anything that I've seen on my '97 k1500.

I'm slowly learning what has been added and what GM fitted. Learning curve! There's a lot of pipe work and wiring in trunking associated with the LPG system. At times it obscures the GM stuff.

Would you mind sending me a p/n if you can spot it? It'd be nice to fuse my alternator output since I've got aftermarket amps installed and I'm going to put some lights on too, might be able to modify it for my uses and make it look more stock. Either way, glad to help.

No problem.
What's the sketch on this forum for posting photographs from a lap top (not smart phone)? Direct from lap top or via third party host?

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the sketch on this forum for posting photographs from a lap top (not smart phone)? Direct from lap top or via third party host?
[/QUOTE]
Simple - just click on the red button below "Upload a File" and browse on your laptop to find the picture and either double click on it or click "Save" button.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cheers!
It is unbelievably tidy for its age. No rust anywhere (other than the slightest of surface on the more exposed parts of the chassis frame and exhaust tail pipes) and the interior is real tidy too - if a bit rattly. Just some minor niggles to sort out and the thing will run forever. Well, that's the plan!

Last edited:

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, that's what I thought it meant, but wasn't aware that it would require changes to the main electrical circuit for a simple fuel conversion, might be a requirement for European laws, so it may be factory, but that certainly isn't anything that I've seen on my '97 k1500. Would you mind sending me a p/n if you can spot it? It'd be nice to fuse my alternator output since I've got aftermarket amps installed and I'm going to put some lights on too, might be able to modify it for my uses and make it look more stock. Either way, glad to help.

No part number on it just writing - MEGA and 'Safe Fuse' IIRC.
You must be registered for see images attach

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A little bit of progress today. Battery voltage on the posts is 12.5V - no lower than yesterday so when disconnected the battery seems to be holding up.

Traced the drain to the lead that runs over the fan shroud to the Fuse Relay Centre. Took its lid off and pulled all the relays and fuses but the drain persists.
Is there anything coming out of that box unfused? If not - an internal fault? If so - what? Where do I look next?

Just because they were there and I could, I pulled the top two plugs on the engine ECU - no difference. Ditto a big grey relay thing beside the FRC.

Is it likely that there is an internal fault in the FRC? Are they known for this?
TIA.