Bags or leafs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not disputing your wdh statement, but properly installed helper bags absolutely do not use the axle as a pivot or take weight off the front of the truck. Quite the opposite in fact. Where a loaded truck may squat in the rear removing weight from the steer axle, helpers level it out under load, putting an appropriate amount back on the front.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Airing up the bags does d!ck all to transfer weight, it only levels the truck and adds rate progressively with more air. Just don't air up off of the overloads. A WD hitch is the only effective way to transfer weight.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
618.....I will agree with you that airing up levels out a load that is above the axle(payload in the bed) hauling a trailer puts the weight BEHIND the axle, creating a pivot point. That's what a WDH fixes. Unless it's a 5th wheel trailer.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Airing up the bags does d!ck all to transfer weight, it only levels the truck and adds rate progressively with more air. Just don't air up off of the overloads. A WD hitch is the only effective way to transfer weight.
So airing up bags to level a truck that's squatted from the load doesn't transfer weight to the steer axle?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So airing up bags to level a truck that's squatted from the load doesn't transfer weight to the steer axle?

It's negligible, especially when you refer to a truck pulling a trailer. It's not the same as hitting your brakes and causing the nose to dive or a good hard drag launch that squats the rear.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
618.....I will agree with you that airing up levels out a load that is above the axle(payload in the bed) hauling a trailer puts the weight BEHIND the axle, creating a pivot point. That's what a WDH fixes. Unless it's a 5th wheel trailer.
I'm talking the trailer or bed payload.
So I went and watched a video about the difference, and it seems that bag location and inflation is the key to transferring the weight. My takeaway is that a wdh works well, and bags can too.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's negligible, especially when you refer to a truck pulling a trailer. It's not the same as hitting your brakes and causing the nose to dive or a good hard drag launch that squats the rear.
Guess my experience is different? Helpers on trucks for years pulling all kinds of stuff, never had an issue with squatting once they're aired up correctly. Feels similar to big trucks to me. Just my experience though.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10/10 recommend a weight distributing hitch. It uses your hitch and truck frame to lever the front wheels down, taking some of the load off the rear wheels.

We tow a 3000 lb race car on a 2000 lb open trailer with about 300 lbs of tool boxes and about 500 lbs of tire rack and tires. Our team captain loads his GMT900 Suburban with about 1000 lbs of gear, then hooks the trailer on. Without a weight-distributing hitch, it squats dangerously low and is scary to drive. With the weight-distributing hitch it drives pretty decent, although slow.