Bagged 98-Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Low4lyfe

Reaction score
Finally talked my wife into letting me get a new project. My wife's cousin and me picked up this '98 GMC with Chevrolet front end the other day. 2link with Watts link in back, bagged with stock control arms in front. Definitely a work in progress. We are splitting the price of everything, one day one of us will buy the other out.

Things to do:

1) Interior was completely shot due to a previous owner attempting to paint. Dash busted, missing more plastics than it had, headliner wrapped in horrible tweed, vinyl floors, busted up leather bucket seats. Didn't get a before picture but have already replaced lots of it with nice parts from junk yard. Bought 60/40 bench with fold down console and carpet at junk yard yesterday and pressure washed carpet with purple power today. Steering wheel is also upside down??:Insane:

2) Some of the worst wiring I have ever seen! When i get home tonight the re-wiring begins.

3) A/C doesn't work - a must in southeast Texas.

4) Previous owner did a nice job building an exhaust system that exits in front of passenger side rear tire, but it touches the ground when laid out.

5) Wheels - Should be here Friday.

6) 350 vortec is feeling a little weak.

The good news is that the fabrication seems very well done, and it has a fresh coat of paint.

Day I bought it:
You must be registered for see images attach

Junk yard carpet before cleaning:

Last edited:

Low4lyfe

Reaction score
Spent all afternoon rewiring this thing! I'm surprised that it hasn't burned down! Ripped out all the wiring done by previous owners in the cab and started over, it was easier that way. Now all wires are color-coded and wrapped in split loom. Still have to make a panel for my switches to mount in under Hvac controls

Also finished installing all the interior plastics that I picked up from the junk yard. Still need the upper/main part of the dash, the back roof trim panel that holds up the cargo lamp, both door panel arm rests that I couldn't find, and one a/c vent that I lost somewhere in my pile of parts :fca5278d:.

Just tossed the carpet and seats in tonight to see how it would all look, nothing bolted down.

traksta15

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
my carpet looked similiar when I first bought my 96, a bottle of purple power did wonders though.

Low4lyfe

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Didn't get to do anything to it yesterday but hopefully today I'll have time to modify the seat brackets to make the 60/40 sit level and do a few other things. Forgot to mention that I'm a pipeliner and travel all over for my job and I'm actually doing all of this work in a storage area with dirt floors and no walls, just a roof, that I rented from the RV park owners. I don't have any lights and the mosquitoes around here resemble humming birds so I only have a few hours to work on it after work every day before it gets too dark.

New wheels should be here today so hopefully I'll have some pictures to load this weekend.