bad thermostat, now wont start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zeronight

Reaction score
i was driving home and she died out of nowhere. started back up no issues. but i pulled over and saw the coolant return hose was collapsed. i went to remove the thermostat but didn't have the necessary tools. i was close to home and didn't want to pay for a tow so i chanced it and kept going. the dash gauge never moved past 200 and i had the heater running at full blast. on the way home the transmission started to not shift unless i did it manually ( sorry 95 k1500 5.7 auto all stock) i got home and left to get a new thermostat. i replaced it and now i'm not getting any fuel to the TBI. i can hear the pump running but im not seeing any gas and she wont start. haynes book is no help. any clue where i should start??? PLEASE HELP!!!

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do a code read. See what comes up. Here is a video on how to.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you dont get any codes, undo the positive battery cable for 3 mins or so. This will reset the ECM. If all of this fails, let us know and we will take it from there.

Zeronight

Reaction score
ok so heres where im a dumb ass. it threw a code but before i tried to read it i was already trying to pull the stat and i had disconnected the battery in hopes of clearing the ecu (sure did no codes now DUMMY!). i was able to start it up at the gas station i stopped at and drove it home, and the transmission started not shifting unless i put it in 1st and shifted to second but if i went into drive or 3rd it just stayed in the gear it was in (2nd or first). so i get home and no start . i poured a bit of gas down the TBI and she eventually fired up. the engine seemed fine, revved up to 4 grand no issues, i tried driving and still had the trans issues as before. came home shut her down and now wont start again. i feel she will start if i pour some gas but that's no fix.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You need to do a fuel pressure test. Low fuel pressure can cause hard starts. As for the the hose colapes, that is a different issue, and could be a bad rad cap, ext. If you have issues that trip a code, and it or they are not fixed, then it will trip those or that code again.

Zeronight

Reaction score
i'm wondering since the dash temp gauge reads from the side of the block and the PCM temp sensor is on the manifold is it possible it was overheated on the manifold and is damaged? would that cause any of my issues?

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Shouldnt. The trans shift points are controled by the TPS info to the ECM. The OBD I system is not that complex.

Zeronight

Reaction score
so would it be reasonable to assume that if i replaced the TPS the trans issue would possably improve/be fixed? could the TPS also keep it from starting at all?

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
TPS will throw a code if its bad, even if the codes are cleared, it will throw one once the truck is started, an this should not keep the truck from starting. Can make it idle funny.