Bad shake at certain speeds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tdean91491

Something about an OBS
Reaction score
Alright guy’s between 40-60 mph I’ve got a really bad shake in my front end. I just did a rotate and balance, haven’t long replaced all the tire rod ends and upper ball joints, idler & pitman arm. Had an alignment don’t after I replaced everything. Steering is pretty tight nothing seems to be lose. Front brakes pads are in decent shape, the rotors seem to be good by the naked eye. I’ve done and tried everything I can think of to get it to stop, any ideas as to what could be causing this? At this point I’m willing to try anything! Thanks in advance guys.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was there shake there before or after the tire balance and rotate?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Tdean91491

Something about an OBS
Reaction score
It’s 4 wheel drive.

The shake was already going on before I had them rotated and balanced.

Tdean91491

Something about an OBS
Reaction score
I’ve also added a steering stabilizer to it as well, didn’t seem to change at all.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Did you rotate front to rear, side to side, or some kind of X pattern?

Does the shake always happen, or is it more like if you hit a bump/dip in the road between those speeds it could happen?

I had a bad tire on the front of a work van once. It had to be replaced to be "fixed". I think we tried balancing it first, and it would balance fine, but on the van if you hit a dip or bump in the road just right going moderately fast it would death wobble.

Tdean91491

Something about an OBS
Reaction score
I went from front to back when I rotated them. It starts when I hit around 40 mph and progressively gets worse until I hit above 65 then it smooths out. I went to a buddy’s shop and put it on the lift today. Took all four tires off & I did notice something I haven’t before. The front driver side I could turn freely but the passenger side wouldn’t. Are the front differentials suppose to be that way or?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I went from front to back when I rotated them.

Ok, I wanted to be sure the front tires were not the problem... that confirms it, unless you had a rear tire with the exact same problem... not very likely.

Took all four tires off & I did notice something I haven’t before. The front driver side I could turn freely but the passenger side wouldn’t. Are the front differentials suppose to be that way or?

So you were trying to turn the rotors directly? I'd suspect a sticking caliper. Could be the slide pins, or the piston itself... or a bad hose acting like a check valve.

Tdean91491

Something about an OBS
Reaction score
How does actuator in the front differential work? Does it push the pin in to engage the 4 wheel drive or?