Bad brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marcelo

Reaction score
can anyone help me figure out what js wring with my brakes on my 98 c1500? They go to the floor and make a pssshhh sound when i press the brake pedal. I replaced the rear brake cylinders and still doing the same thing.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Probably master cylinder, booster may be going out too. Did you bleed the system after changing the wheel cylinders? Air in the brake hydraulic system will present these symptoms. But this sounds like what my Burb did before the master cylinder was replaced.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Maybe a dumb question but I have to ask... do you have a puddle in your driveway after you press the brakes?

If not then it sounds like something upstream like Hot Wheels said, Master or Booster and/or needing a thorough bleeding

Marcelo

Reaction score
Probably master cylinder, booster may be going out too. Did you bleed the system after changing the wheel cylinders? Air in the brake hydraulic system will present these symptoms. But this sounds like what my Burb did before the master cylinder was replaced.
Yes i just bled them and the pedals soft. I think it might be the booster and master cyclinder.

Marcelo

Reaction score
Maybe a dumb question but I have to ask... do you have a puddle in your driveway after you press the brakes?

If not then it sounds like something upstream like Hot Wheels said, Master or Booster and/or needing a thorough bleeding
would you recommend lmc truck for those parts?

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
I get most of my parts from my local O'Reilly's auto parts store, but have a friend who lets me use his commercial account privileges, so I get a much better price. On the fuel pump on my Suburban last fall, that saved me over a hundred dollars!
Some things I get from Rock Auto, but usually things I don't have to have right away, or things that I shouldn't have any warranty issues with.
For something important like brakes, chassis and engine parts, I prefer to go with the local parts store, even if it's a little more expensive than buying online. You're also more likely to get the right part the first time, and any warranty problems are lots easier to handle face to face. When I had a bad water pump on the same Burb several years ago, once I brought the defective part in, I got my credit back on its replacement.
When you go to get parts, having the VIN number is helpful. That has all the option codes in it, which is important on brakes because these trucks can be built in many configurations. Half ton pickup or Tahoe brakes are different type than a half ton Suburban, and everything is different than on my one ton crew cab....but if you have the correct information on your truck's options, then you should get the correct parts.
I would reserve LMC truck or any of those companies for body , interior and trim parts, but that's just me..... nothing wrong with them, but I grew up buying my parts from the parts store, even when it wasn't the one my Dad worked in and we bought later.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just edited my first post as I mistakenly wrote master cylinder, I meant power booster. I got mine on RockAuto.com, definitely check their prices out. I went with Prior brand, which is a rebuilt original.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
They are a good brand, so is Cardone. Online prices are lots better, but anything heavy or bulky, will beat your wallet on shipping.

Marcelo

Reaction score
I get most of my parts from my local O'Reilly's auto parts store, but have a friend who lets me use his commercial account privileges, so I get a much better price. On the fuel pump on my Suburban last fall, that saved me over a hundred dollars!
Some things I get from Rock Auto, but usually things I don't have to have right away, or things that I shouldn't have any warranty issues with.
For something important like brakes, chassis and engine parts, I prefer to go with the local parts store, even if it's a little more expensive than buying online. You're also more likely to get the right part the first time, and any warranty problems are lots easier to handle face to face. When I had a bad water pump on the same Burb several years ago, once I brought the defective part in, I got my credit back on its replacement.
When you go to get parts, having the VIN number is helpful. That has all the option codes in it, which is important on brakes because these trucks can be built in many configurations. Half ton pickup or Tahoe brakes are different type than a half ton Suburban, and everything is different than on my one ton crew cab....but if you have the correct information on your truck's options, then you should get the correct parts.
I would reserve LMC truck or any of those companies for body , interior and trim parts, but that's just me..... nothing wrong with them, but I grew up buying my parts from the parts store, even when it wasn't the one my Dad worked in and we bought later.
Yea thats true, thanks