Bad A$# Chevy in the works

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The stripes on your truck are not OEM, they are aftermarket added by the dealer or later.
If you take them off you may still be able to see the marks where they were.
There are a few variables, but it could be bad enough that buffing won't remove the marks.

Poondart

Reaction score
The stripes on your truck are not OEM, they are aftermarket added by the dealer or later.
If you take them off you may still be able to see the marks where they were.
There are a few variables, but it could be bad enough that buffing won't remove the marks.

I am almost positive the graphics package came from the factory, I will check the window sticker(still have the original window sticker with all the options) next time I go to the truck.
I have also already checked in a couple test spots what the paint looks like under the graphics. Since the truck had a paint job 10 years ago the paint is the same color underneath as it is the rest of the panels still. If it’s very noticeable after removing the entire stickers I will touch up the paint on those panels or do new black paint over those areas. Thanks for the info!

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The big deal about the Z’s is not because of Z71 but because I have 2 Z’s in my last name. I am fond of the letter Z. I was thinking about just using the Z’s without the 71, since you wouldn’t be able to do the same pattern on the passenger side anyway. What’s your input on that idea?

I see, I was going by your rendering that included the "71". Your stripe design wouldn't be my thing, but I don't have 2 Zs in my name, either. I wouldn't fault you for doing it.... it's your name, your truck, your ideas.

What’s wrong with the skid plate? I am interested to hear your idea of other options for it.

I don't think he meant that there was anything wrong with the factory skid plates, but rather that they could be had even without the Z71 package.

Thank you sir!
I have considered one of those grille shells. You are talking about the square single headlight setups right? Not too sure I like the looks of those single light setups compared to the split quad lights on there now.

Yes, the single glass rectangular headlights. There are a few companies making high-end commercial LED replacements for them. They're expensive, but are supposed to work better than the retrofit bulbs that are commonly sold for composite headlights.

The led headlights I have installed are built properly to mimic the Oem halogen bulbs that were in it. (The filaments and diodes are in the same place so they work well in stock buckets/housings) Instead of custom housings the led bulb has mimicked the halogen bulbs, now they can be used in the same housings without som many hotspots. They don’t blind oncoming traffic after I properly adjusted them as well. They are also at least 10x more efficient than the stockers, I rallied the stock halogen bulbs for almost 20 years before finally upgrading.

I've never messed with lighting much, but it's my understanding that our lights/reflectors weren't that great a design to begin with, and retrofits done quickly/poorly/cheaply don't help.... I'm not saying you haven't been successful, just giving you an idea of where my idea of going to the other grille comes from.

AirMdwn

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Getting started on my custom bumper install. Got a cardboard mock up. Gonna raise the mount up 1 1/2" and set it back about 4" into the grill. Actually more like 3" up

You must be registered for see images attach

Poondart

Reaction score
Update on my progress.
I have now striped off all factory/dealership decals, trim, and panels as well as ALL the fail bed liner that AK bedliners did on my rocker panels, side steps, and custom front bumper. All of it failed completely.
PSA, for any Alaska residents who might read this....DO NOT EVER USE AK BEDLINERS!! They are con artists who have no clue how to apply paint or bedliner.
Found some rust issues underneath the fake chrome rocker panels. So I did so cheap rust repair with stick on mesh and glass strand bondo. Worked great and should last for many years to come.

Poondart

Reaction score
Rust repair and bad paint repair. Had the color peeling off on the upper and lower body lines.

Poondart

Reaction score
Sanded everything down and sprayed acid etching primer on bare metal. Then sprayed 2k primer over everything.

Poondart

Reaction score
Taped it off and shot some black Raptor liner on. Wish I would have followed the top body line instead of coming straight off the front corner marker light. It should have curved up with the body line.
Here are some shots with the Chevy grille shell. I have been searching for a good gmc shell for awhile.
I am loving this Raptor liner, it is so easy to use and very forgiving.

Poondart

Reaction score
Found a gmc grille shell in good condition! Prepped it, my tailgate, and the white paint in between the new black stripes. Raptor liner is tintable to any color you could imagine.

The goal after getting my front tube bumper made a couple years ago was.... to get rid of all the decals, trim, and panels on the truck that was all chrome(or mostly). To turn everything black and white. Just about there! The rear bumper is one of the last chrome things to replace.