Bad A$# Chevy in the works

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Poondart

Reaction score
Here is what I wanted it to look like, and what it eventually will look like with the GMC grille. Used an app called sketchbook to do some photoshop action.
You must be registered for see images attach

Poondart

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out which route to take on the stripes down the side. The stripes will refresh some of the worn and peeling white paint. They would be done in thin coats of bedliner just like the steps and rockers. Here are the routes I was pondering. Feedback would be much appreciated, lemme know what you think please.
Not sure if I want to do the Z 71 since it can’t be done on the other side of the truck. Was also thinking about just doing the Z’s without the numbers.

AirMdwn

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the second idea, clean and simple. Truck looks good over all and its going to look badass with the GMC grill. I really like your front bumper. Did you fab it up yourself? What did you use as brackets at the frame horns? I need a bumper to mount the new winch that has been sitting on my workbench since Christmas!

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
OP, it's a really nice looking truck. Regarding the grill, have you considered one of the work truck grilles painted white, so that you could go with the one of the really good LED 6054 headlight replacements, such as Truck-lite?

Poondart

Reaction score
I like the second idea, clean and simple. Truck looks good over all and its going to look badass with the GMC grill. I really like your front bumper. Did you fab it up yourself? What did you use as brackets at the frame horns? I need a bumper to mount the new winch that has been sitting on my workbench since Christmas!

Thanks for the input buddy.
I designed it and made this drawing for a local fabricator. If I had a shop, tools, and welder I could have easily done it myself though as I have done metal fab before.(any photo of my truck in a garage is me using a friends shop and tools) I would not recommend the fabricator I used.
The brackets/frame horns are attached to the bumper itself. There are 3 nuts welded to 1/2” plate. It simply slides into the frame openings and bolts to the stock location(3 bolts in a triangular pattered on each frame rail)
I am still working on a custom rear sliding tray in the extended cab to store my winch.

Poondart

Reaction score
I wouldn't ever make a big deal about a truck being a Z71.... it's an RPO code turned into marketing. It's just stickers and upgraded shocks.

The big deal about the Z’s is not because of Z71 but because I have 2 Z’s in my last name. I am fond of the letter Z. I was thinking about just using the Z’s without the 71, since you wouldn’t be able to do the same pattern on the passenger side anyway. What’s your input on that idea?

And skid plates. Both could be optioned in other ways IIRC.

What’s wrong with the skid plate? I am interested to hear your idea of other options for it.

OP, it's a really nice looking truck. Regarding the grill, have you considered one of the work truck grilles painted white, so that you could go with the one of the really good LED 6054 headlight replacements, such as Truck-lite?

Thank you sir!
I have considered one of those grille shells. You are talking about the square single headlight setups right? Not too sure I like the looks of those single light setups compared to the split quad lights on there now. The led headlights I have installed are built properly to mimic the Oem halogen bulbs that were in it. (The filaments and diodes are in the same place so they work well in stock buckets/housings) Instead of custom housings the led bulb has mimicked the halogen bulbs, now they can be used in the same housings without som many hotspots. They don’t blind oncoming traffic after I properly adjusted them as well. They are also at least 10x more efficient than the stockers, I rallied the stock halogen bulbs for almost 20 years before finally upgrading.