Back glass.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jbaer

Reaction score
What's up guys? First timer here. Installing new back glass on my 89 2500 didn't come with one. Just confused on what seal I need and how it's done. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't even bother trying to do my own glass. I have a local auto glass guy who will come to my house and replace a windshield for about $250. Once I get back to work on Roscoe I plan on having him come out and reinstall the rear window.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Glued-in glass, windshield or rear glass, is a structural component of the cab - it's designed to stay IN if the roof gets crushed in a crash, rollover, etc. keeping you and your passengers from getting squished. So not only the correct adhesive is critical (special urethane for windshields), correct prep of the body is critical, too.

Even some "glass guys" get it wrong, or can cut corners. On the '93 I bought recently, the brand new windshield in it leaked, and moved when you pushed on it at the top. I had to have it re-done since I bought the truck out of town, not gonna take it a few hundred miles for any possible warranty work on a windshield. $140 to the local guys and it's good now.

Richard

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
By time you buy the stuff, urethane, the brush on primer, etc, You walk in buy a tube of urethane it's like $25, In the middle of the install is not when you figure out you needed 2. The primer is like $30 for a tiny bottle. They buy the stuff in bulk wholesale. I rather have glass guy do it. There's some real junk aftermarket glass out there that either doesn't look right or fit right so you're better off not hunting ebay etc. Alot of times they can get the glass and do the install cheaper than you can buy just the piece of glass for.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Agree with everyone here. OP I can relate bc I REALLY wanted to pull a sliding glass window out of a wreckers more than once, but after I've looked into how much work it is to remove front/rear windows, chances are I'm going to stick with my regular rear windshield. This is one of those jobs where it's just better to pay someone else.

Leeztruk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seeing as this is an older posting, I would assume the OP has made his decision and repair. But I have to agree with all the responses above. When I got my truck, at some time in its' past, a slider window was broken, and a piece of plexiglass installed. Leaked badly, too. So, for $250, a glass house came to my house, removed said sliding window, and replaced with a one piece tinted window

Attachments

• DSCN0584.JPG
    DSCN0584.JPG
    268.4 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN0585.JPG
    DSCN0585.JPG
    311.9 KB · Views: 6

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I had a slider window that whistled and leaked. Dealt with it for several years and then decided to have a tinted full piece window with defrost swapped in. I originally tried to pull one from a yard, but that was more work than it was worth. Now I've got my defrost, but apparently the joke is on me as it's never worked well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DJost