Axle shifting on acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Make sure you dont have any broken leafs in the spring pack.
Sometimes they can split in half and be covered up by the brackets and crud.
It will look fine at first glance but they pull apart under accelleration and then go back in place when you stop
Also check out your transmission mount and motor mounts.
Any problem in the mounts might feel through the seat like diff is moving
If anyone ever did the trans they may have used an impact on the tranny mount which can pull the threads out of the case.
You should never use an impact on a trans mount but they do it anyway.
And, get the ass end off the ground and look for pinion bearing slop. The u joint can feel okay and the backlash can feel okay but bearing play will make the whole pinion shaft "wobble" under accelleration

Reaction score
Well, I got it on the lift today and checked stuff out. There was some play in the drive line but nothing that seemed unusual for an older RWD truck. U-bolts were all intact. There was some minor rust but nothing substantial. I decided to flip the drop shackles and found the bushings had delaminated and fell right out. They were loose enough to fall right out. So there was some play in them. I'm not sure if that would be enough to cause my issue.

I guess I need to see if I can find new bearings for these or for as cheap as they are I'll just get a new set of Shackles.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Reaction score
Wow....screw those. Just get some new ones. And go with new u-bolts, too.

Richard

The the shackle bushings will definitely get replaced. I think the U-bolts are ok for now. The picture actually makes them look worse than they are. But, I'm debating on doing the bushings in the leaf springs also. So, if that happens I'll definitely do the U-bolts too. But not sure how soon that will be.

Oh, I also figured out that the trans mount has delaminated so, that will need to get replaced also.

The truck only has 135k on it. But I'm planning to keep it so I'm slowly working my way through and replacing all the wearable parts (brakes, steering, suspensions, etc) regardless of if they need it or not. But spare time for me is very limited so it's going to take a while.

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmm ive been noticing this issue as well. Not a spec of rust on my truck but ill have to check out the u bolts.

Reaction score
Decided to shift around some to-do's. So I guess I'll be redoing the rears suspension one of the next weekends. I ordered new trans mount, U bolts, new drop shackles and new leaf spring bushings. I'm sure the bushings will be a joy to get out. But I figured if I'm pulling it apart again anyway I might as well do them also.

Once I get done with this, next will be installing the 2500 calipers, NBS MC, brake hoses and new OE pads/shoes etc.