Automotive Wiring Info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deadfast

Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I've looked everywhere and I'm just about to give up on this problem. Bought a nice running 1990 GMT 40 (its what it says on the title, most people just call it a silverado 1500 I suppose) and all the gauges were dead. The cheapest new replacement I could find online was the 350 dollar intellitronix digital gauge. You'd figure for the price and considering they're replacing a dinosaur of a circuit board with modern stuff, it would be simple and easy to include an adapter on the thing to match the factory plug in the dash so a non-car savvy person like myself could just plug it in and go. Not so much. The new gauge has nine bare wires hanging out the back while the factory plug in the dash has almost twice that many. I can splice a decent wire connection if I knew which ones to use on the factory plug and which ones to discard, but the documentation they sent with it was pitifully wrong and incomplete; customer service hasn't responded to my messages for over a month now. Been searching all over online for some sort of diagram to tell me in plain english which wire does what on the factory plug, found things for just about every model of chevy *except mine.

Basically, I need a diagram that identifies the wiring in the factory plug in the following picture.

You must be registered for see images attach

I've also tried the local chevy service department, they dont carry anything older than 2000 in terms of documentation. Does such a diagram even exist or should I just return this overpriced gauge and buy a used junker gauge from the salvage yard?

Thanks in advance.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I've looked everywhere and I'm just about to give up on this problem. Bought a nice running 1990 GMT 40 (its what it says on the title, most people just call it a silverado 1500 I suppose) and all the gauges were dead. The cheapest new replacement I could find online was the 350 dollar intellitronix digital gauge. You'd figure for the price and considering they're replacing a dinosaur of a circuit board with modern stuff, it would be simple and easy to include an adapter on the thing to match the factory plug in the dash so a non-car savvy person like myself could just plug it in and go. Not so much. The new gauge has nine bare wires hanging out the back while the factory plug in the dash has almost twice that many. I can splice a decent wire connection if I knew which ones to use on the factory plug and which ones to discard, but the documentation they sent with it was pitifully wrong and incomplete; customer service hasn't responded to my messages for over a month now. Been searching all over online for some sort of diagram to tell me in plain english which wire does what on the factory plug, found things for just about every model of chevy *except mine.

Basically, I need a diagram that identifies the wiring in the factory plug in the following picture.

You must be registered for see images attach

I've also tried the local chevy service department, they dont carry anything older than 2000 in terms of documentation. Does such a diagram even exist or should I just return this overpriced gauge and buy a used junker gauge from the salvage yard?

Thanks in advance.

PDF copies of the GM factory service manuals for '88-'95 trucks can be found here, they might have what you need.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/88-95-service-manuals.43575/