Automatic to manual swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Almen

Reaction score
I’m going to change my 94’ Z71 from and automatic transmission to a manual. What I’m wondering is if I should use an NV 3500 or an NV 4500 and will it bolt up to the transfer case I already have?

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
4500 the strongest but harder n more expensive to find. Pretty sure outputs are different between auto in stick, but not hard to swap em out.

TCBRacer77

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did the swap in my 97, from 4l60e to nv3500. It’s really straight forward if you plan out all of the correct parts… including the hard to find ones like the 97 specific clutch pedal bracket. If you have a 4 wheel drive I believe everything bolts right in with no modifications with the exception of slip yoke I believe. Drive shaft should be fine. Mine was 2wd so I had to change drive shaft length along with slip yoke. Don’t forget the Computer needs to be reprogrammed, I suggest black bear performance. I purchased the nv3500 through rock auto (zumbrota) and I was VERY impressed, ran me $1900 without a core though. Should last a very long time though being that I have a tired 4.3. If you have an engine that’s been modified at all I would suggest spending the money on a beefier trans though.

If you were prepared to spend the premium price for the American power train kit for these trucks I think it is a great provision for ANY future performance engine swap, or a bulletproof trans that will handle any abuse thrown at it for years to come… but to be honest I don’t have the experience to say otherwise. Just saying the money is better spent toward the American power train kit with magnum trans vs how much the nv4500 is. I welcome any thoughts or concerns with my statement! I’m learning as well! Haha

Attachments

• 557BBD71-3058-4111-8FE6-4A73BC34A907.jpeg
    557BBD71-3058-4111-8FE6-4A73BC34A907.jpeg
    304.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

John Almen

Reaction score
I appreciate the information. I have 4 wheel drive. I’m also thinking straight axle swap as well. It’s my money pit since I’m a truck driver and never home.

Hamps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yours should be close to what mine was. Get the u shaped pedal mount from the donor vehicle. It is a pain but makes everything line up very well. I did the sm465 because they are easy and no one seems to want them. I am loaded with a boat or camping all the time anyway so OD wasn't a huge deal.
Mine was not stock but I am glad I did the upgraded parts and pieces. I used a Ram hydraulic throw out bearing and used a willwood master cylinder. Everything works flawless.
If you plan on towing anything I would do the 4500 over the 3500. Good luck and if you hit a bump holler at me. I love having a manual in my shortbox!