Auto to Manual U-Joint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MasonBraaps

Reaction score
I have a 1988 c1500 reg cab short bed truck. Originally had a 700R4 in it. I have swapped in a HM290 5 speed.

Since the HM290 has a 32 spline output shaft and the 700R4 has a 27 spline, I need to change slip yokes on my driveshaft. I found a manual 32 spline slip yoke off of an aluminum driveshaft from a different truck. I wanted to put this yoke on the original steel shaft from my truck.

After reading the forum I saw that some guy said to get a MOOG 447 conversion U Joint. When I tried to press this into the yoke it snapped the ear off.

Now I need to get a new slip yoke, but I have no idea what size U Joint is meant for this combination. It seems like no one knows??

It seems like the Spicer 2-3-10831X slip yoke would work, so I understand I need a 1310 style for that end of the u joint, but what size do I need for the steel driveshaft end?

Any help is appreciated guys!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GM often uses their own sizing for U-joints.

If the yoke you're buying is advertised for a 1310 U-joint, I bet the shaft takes a 3R. Or find a yoke that accepts a 3R joint, and then you'd probably use a plain ol' ordinary 3R U-Joint.

Find the oldest parts-counter man in the building, ask him.

www.dennysdriveshaft.com/c974_universal_joints_by_size.html

MasonBraaps

Reaction score
Ok so after more looking around, I think I’m going to go with the Spicer 2-3-10831X slip yoke, and a MOOG 355 u joint, which is a conversion joint from 1330 (yoke side) and 3R (driveshaft side). I think this should work? Unless anyone sees an issue?