auto to manual swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
i would really like to have a 5-speed in my truck I've always wanted a ext cab 5-speed in my truck i was just wondering if i bought a rusted out truck between 96-98 with the 4.3 5speed would the computer work on my 305. i figure if i buy a whole truck i will have everything i need like the steering column and so on and so forth this is nothing I'm going to do right off because i don't have the money and i just bought a rebuilt tranny 2 months ago just looking for info on the swap and what i would need to do

truck specs are 1998 gmc k-1500 305 4l60e 3:73 gears push button 4wd

any help in advance will be greatly appreciated thank you

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've done a few....It's a headache but not too bad. Just rounding up the parts. Flywheel, clutch set, make sure you install the pilot bearing, transmission, transfer case, I can't remember if the drive shafts work. The transfer case will, if you tear it down and change the imput shaft. The clutch pedal set, slave cylinder and master cylinder. Wire harness, and TCM. I think that might be it.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no that pcm won't work, don't waste your time trying to use another truck's PCM to use, just get yours tuned for the correct trans/engine/VIN/etc...

I swapped my 4L60e for a T56, yours would be similar with the 5 speed. probably a few small differences. this is my 4L60e to T56 writeup if it helps you:
http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/t56.html

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
no that pcm won't work, don't waste your time trying to use another truck's PCM to use, just get yours tuned for the correct trans/engine/VIN/etc...

I swapped my 4L60e for a T56, yours would be similar with the 5 speed. probably a few small differences. this is my 4L60e to T56 writeup if it helps you:
http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/t56.html

very good write up. so yoursaying i should have my computer tuned for the standard tranny?

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
how do yo udo this, or where do i get this done?

if i can get everything i need ill do a write up in the spring other than that i can say much for the 96-98 gmt400s ive done the swap to a 88 though

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your tcase or tcase input shaft will need to be changed to the bigger 32-spline. I went from 4L60E to NV4500 and the driveshaft was fine. I needed to install a clutch pedal bracket behind the dash, but I've read 95+ should already be ready for the pedal. Then obviously you need to drill the firewall for the clutch master and cut the floor for the shifter and wire in the reverse lights, NSS, etc. I kept my column and just pulled out the shift handle and made a block off plate for the PRND on the cluster.

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
Your tcase or tcase input shaft will need to be changed to the bigger 32-spline. I went from 4L60E to NV4500 and the driveshaft was fine. I needed to install a clutch pedal bracket behind the dash, but I've read 95+ should already be ready for the pedal. Then obviously you need to drill the firewall for the clutch master and cut the floor for the shifter and wire in the reverse lights, NSS, etc. I kept my column and just pulled out the shift handle and made a block off plate for the PRND on the cluster.

yeah i did the swap on my 88 and it was easy but i wasnt sure about doing it on a 98 though

Jordan Parker

Reaction score
I just picked up a 94 turbo diesel suburban k2500 4x4. I was wondering about swapping in a manual transmission for it. Do you know if it would be possible?
Its got the on the floor manual floor shift dif.