Aussie GMC C3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like those flatbed trays - would cost too much to get made over here though. Eventually I'll get some boxes underneath and a second roll bar at the back that's detachable so I can carry the kayak around. Thanks for the Oregon welcome, I was there in 2016, they had and a coffee shop (Ross Island Café) that knew what an Australian flat white coffee was and it was superb.

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So the expansion tank is in and fits pretty well. The hoses are a mix of trying to make metric work with fractions again - horribly not perfect but as long as it works for now.

I connected all the dash wiring back up but I have two plugs left over. - I'm guessing from the auto column or maybe I just can't work it out. Anyway I went to start it and it lights up and the glow plugs work, lights all work etc but then nothing, wouldn't crank at all, no noise NOTHING!

Then I found that the neutral safety switch needs to be working, which there's only a plug as the auto is out. So I connected two purple wires from the plug and now it cranks over, but very very slowly and won't start. Or is there a manual starter motor?

I'm thinking the batteries are dead so I'll charge and try again tomorrow. I haven't found much online saying how the NV4500 swap goes with electronics, why is it so hard, surely it's been done enough times over there?

You must be registered for see images attach

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Likely, I'm also hoping that's all it is but will see tomorrow. I'm still trying to figure out this wiring though, for the reverse, neutral safety and cruise cancel. Drivershaft should be back this week so if it starts I'll be able to move it finally.

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So with a helping hand I've been able to get nearly all the wiring done. The driveshaft will be back in tomorrow and everything is bled and ready. The truck starts now and the warning lights have even disappeared!!

I'm very excited to get the first drive soon. Wheel alignment is needed as is a good wash, but overall it's come together. The only manual 6.5 in Australia that I know of.

Would I do it again - no. LOL

I'll also need to take it to my friends place to weld the muffler on and attach the exhaust. For now its a 4" dump pipe and only half a metre long - it's a little noisy.

I'll post a video soon

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The driveshaft is in and I was able to take it for a small drive. The front end needs a wheel alignment to say the least, but man, it's super fun!

1st gear is crazy low - I could walk next to it. Maybe the 4.10 rear end is too high but I'm yet to see it at 100kph. I'll just take off in 2nd which seems more like a normal 1st.

I've put the dash back together and just need to test the wiring, connect up the boost and EGT gauges to keep an eye on things and give it a quick clean out.

So far I'm super happy with it. Only a couple concerns:

* The clutch might need more bleeding - it engages almost off the floor
* Theres some fluid leaks getting around - not sure from what as yet
* The VSSB needs calibration I'm guessing it's way off
* The dump pipe stops me turning right, so all driving is straight and left only - I'm going to make some improvements there soon as it's super loud at the moment and not particularly great sounding. Turbo whistle is nuts though.

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Front end is finally done properly and wheel alignment working well. The pitman arm had to be taken off and I had to grind the master splines off as being a RHD conversion they weren't set properly and could never be quite right - it would always drift.

The brakes are finally bled and looking forward to trying out the Ford master. The clutch was a pain, had to be sucked through the bleeder, I'll try that out tomorrow too, but much firmer.

Now for the bad news: I'm getting the engine code 1214, TDC relearn or something. It runs fine but not sure how I'm going to do a relearn over here.

The engine bay all done. Actually I'll eventually put a proper air filter in up in the back corner with a vent to the outside air.

Here's the interior all cleaned up:

And the new gear knob. I need a retainer plate for the shift boot though but for now I'm living with the noisy gears.

It would be great to get a couple parts to suit the manual, like a speedo and column cover, but not too worried for now. The new add-a-leafs arrived too so hoping to swap them out with the new shocks too when I put the exhaust back on.

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So after doing some reading into the 5th gear crunch, I narrowed it down to either having put the synchro collar on backwards or the selector fork is no good. I'm hoping it's the first as I can do that without dropping the box. For now I'm going to leave it - if very polite with the gear change it won't crunch anyway. I'd hate to pull the gears off to find out they were the right way in meaning the second explanation, but that's just how it is.

The new exhaust is great, 4" all the way with a 4" straight through hot dog and bent out the drivers side. The rear shocks were swapped too, the old ones were shot, could push in with a finger and would stay there.

Still some creases to iron out but very happy so far.

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Leaving soon for the UK and then the States. Does anyone have any suggestions for places to stay in Manhattan?

When in LA I think we're staying in Van Nuys which I haven't explored much before. But if anyone knows any car, truck or bike shows on in May let me know.