Aussie GMC C3500

Discussion in 'Member Trucks' started by Clinton, May 20, 2016.

1. Clinton

Clinton I'm Awesome

By the way anyone know if the K series has the same suspension as the C series? I'm looking at the add-a-leaf below as I'm taking the leafs apart soon anyway to swap the bushings. They list only as K3500 but wondering if they will fit my c3500?

s-l1600-7.jpg

2. R422b

R422b Newbie

Looks good.
    I cant imagine there being a difference in the rear of a 4wd vs a 2wd. But i am a 2wd only guy.

3. Terrick down Under

Terrick down Under I'm Awesome

They have same part numbers on Rockauto, so looks the same.

skylark likes this.
  4. Clinton

Clinton I'm Awesome

I may have said already that I dented the oil pan a bit, so having the parts arrived I decided today to swap it out. For some reason it was harder to get out than put back in. I lifted the engine probably 2 inches and out it came. I thought it a good opportunity to check on the insides while I was there.

Not really sure what I was looking for, maybe something obviously damaged or out of place but seemed good and grabbed some photos. I should have cleaned the oil pickup while I was there but forgot.

IMG_2728.JPG IMG_2730.JPG IMG_2731.JPG

5. Supercharged111

Supercharged111 I'm Awesome

You guys must have better oil change discipline down there.

6. Clinton

Clinton I'm Awesome

I change the oil every 5000km or so, but who knows how frequently before I got it. I imagine when it was owned by the Government it was done pretty regularly but I have no history with it and could well have been neglected at some point. It does seem pretty clean though.

I'm still trying to work out the engine combination I have. It's a 2000 truck but the engine (Goodwrench) seems older. I didn't see any oil squirters but then again I'm no mechanic.

7. Clinton

Clinton I'm Awesome

Can anyone tell if this is an oil squirter block?

8. Clinton

Clinton I'm Awesome

Been working at it again, getting the brake lines done. It's slowly coming back together. I know most would throw away the engine cover, but I like it so I decided to clean it up and put it back on. I modified it to allow the power steering lines to pass through, and while cleaning things up I took to the glow plug wires and battery cables.

The brake lines were my first attempt bending my own - so not perfect but much better than what was there before.

IMG_2741.JPG

As you can see here, the PS lines passing through. Might need a grommet to stop long term rubbing.

IMG_2742.JPG

It's beginning to look tidy in the engine bay for a change.

IMG_2743.JPG

R422b likes this.
  9. Terrick down Under

Terrick down Under I'm Awesome

Looking good

10. Clinton

Clinton I'm Awesome

Thanks Rick. I moved the PMD from the firewall to the side of the dual battery tray - closer to the fan and lower in the engine bay. The clutch is now pretty much sorted using An4 braided hose and fittings - and keeping the quick-disconnect if it works. Not sure what I'm meant to do with all the left over automatic wiring harness but thinking I'll just cable tie it for now.