At my wits end.. Looking for any idea.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi Retorq, where you located ?
I have trouble keeping the idle where it is set at, upon start it idles at 750 or so, perfect right, but then if I give it any throttle or begin driving it rises to around 1000rpms. this makes it tough to hold back at stops.
It also seems to stumble when given any throttle past normal acceleration, like its not getting enough fuel or timing ??
The fuel filter is new, pressure is good at 10+, IAC, TPS,ECTS,MAP, all new, new plugs and timing at 10', injectors not leaking and spray is fine, I have checked repeatedly for vacuum leaks also, of course not under the intake manifold though.
Everyone tells me that I need an ALDL connector and to get Tunerpro ? I am not smart enough to understand what this will tell me :bawl:
I have talked with numerous guys aboput this and no one seems to have a solution, always comes back to a vacuum leak ???????
Its at the shop today getting a front tranny seal and fixing the aux fan because its not acting right. they are going to check the idle thing but I don't expect much progress there, just being real
Thanks
Bobby V

I have a cable and probably the closest guy to you on the forum. What is your truck doing?

mykytiuk

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me with a new distributor. Turned out to be what I believe is called the condenser or that small black component inside the distributor. AAA to home then took the one out of the old distributor and has ran fine since!!!

Shane Dyer

Reaction score
I’m not sure if this would cause your problem but I know from personal experience that these trucks have a fuel prime relay and a fuel run relay. I had an issue with my run relay circuit and could never figure it out so I hardwired a switch into the prime relay and solved the issue. I inadvertently also created a theft deterrent as no one can keep my truck running without knowing where the switch is.

The basic issue was that it would run for about 30 seconds until the prime relay cut off and then it would sporadically run when the run relay kicked in. At the end before running the switch, the run relay would not function at all and I could only run for 30 seconds at a time. Makes for an interesting drive home from 10 miles away on the highway... throw in neutral, crank, put in gear, floor it, die, throw in neutral, crank, put in gear, floor it, die... and so on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds like that was a huge pain in the rear end. Allthough mine isn't anywhere near that bad, where are both of these relays located? Or is mine only 1 since it is a 94?
Thanks!

RoJo2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That sounds like that was a huge pain in the rear end. Allthough mine isn't anywhere near that bad, where are both of these relays located? Or is mine only 1 since it is a 94?
Thanks!

The truck I was referencing was a 94. I’ve since picked up a 98 as well. If I remember correctly it was on the firewall but I’ll have to do some digging to see what I can find.

Reaction score
When the truck dies and won't restart do you have spark at your coil?

If no spark then you have an ignition problem
If no fuel then you have a fuel problem.

I would check the distributor and the pickup inside.
I have changed a few distributors in my day.

No one has brought up the possibility of a coil.
Seen that as well.

Look for rust and cracks in the coil housing.

Also a very good check over of the wiring as well.
Grounds, also splices in the power connections as well.

Heat in the motor bay can cause very high resistance in splices.
Thus lowering voltage.

The fuel pump relay is on the firewall there should be a terminal with a red wire taped into the harness.
That would be the fuel pump relay.

There is also a terminal near the coil that you can use to check your crank trigger.

It is a terminal on a white wire taped up near the coil.
Check for AC voltage while cranking.

If nothing then most likely the internals of your distributor.

Hope this helps.

Also check the connections at your starter.
All your fussible links are there.
Any funky green or blue stuff would need to be cleaned up.

Hope this helps
Best of luck.
Scott

RoJo2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The truck I was referencing was a 94. I’ve since picked up a 98 as well. If I remember correctly it was on the firewall but I’ll have to do some digging to see what I can find.

As Scott referenced above, the relay is on the firewall. I really don’t remember what the exact issue was... I just remember that once the 30 second prime shut off, so did my fuel pump as the run circuit was not operating. For reference, this is where the fuel pump fuse and relay are located on the passenger side of the firewall:

You must be registered for see images attach

And here is were I spliced in to run a switch and independent power to the switch just below the master cylinder on the driver side of the fire wall:

Hope this is not your issue... but if so, I hope this helps.

Shane Dyer

Reaction score
As Scott referenced above, the relay is on the firewall. I really don’t remember what the exact issue was... I just remember that once the 30 second prime shut off, so did my fuel pump as the run circuit was not operating. For reference, this is where the fuel pump fuse and relay are located on the passenger side of the firewall:

And here is were I spliced in to run a switch and independent power to the switch just below the master cylinder on the driver side of the fire wall:

Hope this is not your issue... but if so, I hope this helps.

Thanks man I'll check it out when I can. Just found out from work that my shift is changing to 2nd shift. :/ I'll update when I can.

95flatblack

Reaction score
I had the same problem. In researching this problem there are many owners with this issue. I changed and adjusted way more items than the original poster. Everyone said the same type of fixes except one. The harmonic balancer. This part has issues of deteriorating within. Check the harmonic balancer. That was the problem with mine.

retorq

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Retorq, where you located ?
I have trouble keeping the idle where it is set at, upon start it idles at 750 or so, perfect right, but then if I give it any throttle or begin driving it rises to around 1000rpms. this makes it tough to hold back at stops.
It also seems to stumble when given any throttle past normal acceleration, like its not getting enough fuel or timing ??
The fuel filter is new, pressure is good at 10+, IAC, TPS,ECTS,MAP, all new, new plugs and timing at 10', injectors not leaking and spray is fine, I have checked repeatedly for vacuum leaks also, of course not under the intake manifold though.
Everyone tells me that I need an ALDL connector and to get Tunerpro ? I am not smart enough to understand what this will tell me :bawl:
I have talked with numerous guys aboput this and no one seems to have a solution, always comes back to a vacuum leak ???????
Its at the shop today getting a front tranny seal and fixing the aux fan because its not acting right. they are going to check the idle thing but I don't expect much progress there, just being real
Thanks
Bobby V

I'm in Kingman.

Isn't that fuel pressure a little low? The cable I have is the ALDL cable for Gen 1/1.5s. Generally you can look at your stream realtime, no tuning capabilities with just the cable, that takes some other hardware. The software is on laptop that doesn't/hasn't run in a while. Maybe if the shop can't fix it I could bring a cable and notebook when it's not 250 degrees in the shade!! Hahaha