Arteb Brazil GMT400 headlight users thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I messed around with some LED "bulbs" in the city light socket today..... I powered the right-hand light here at my desk with a 9-volt and some paper clips :biggrin:

I bought these a week or so ago: www.amazon.com/dp/B07BT23WVC?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

They have a single LED on each side of a circuit board, so light dispersion may not be ideal, but considering their usage I'm not really concerned. I've got some other bulbs in my stash I could try too..... I think they're 194s but the writing is not legible or gone. I've got a line on a pair of connectors, but I'm not sure how I want to wire them. I'm not used to taping into existing factory harnesses.... open to suggestions on that.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I was considering wiring the city lights to the parks, but I then I got thinking about my Volvo headlights...they're on all the time. What if I just wired the city lights to always be on, with the ignition? I've got the underhood fuse box there under the hood.... what should I tap into? I'd rather not cut factory wires.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I was considering wiring the city lights to the parks, but I then I got thinking about my Volvo headlights...they're on all the time. What if I just wired the city lights to always be on, with the ignition? I've got the underhood fuse box there under the hood.... what should I tap into? I'd rather not cut factory wires.

Just spread the insulation on an existing wire and solder to that, no cutting. If you're able to depin that wire from a nearby connector, easy peasy to heatshrink it up.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Just spread the insulation on an existing wire and solder to that, no cutting. If you're able to depin that wire from a nearby connector, easy peasy to heatshrink it up.

Ok maybe cutting was too specific. I'd rather not alter the factory wiring harness. I was thinking of just running wire directly to the fuse box and picking up switched power there, maybe with something like a fuse tap. I'm not used to wiring stuff like that, as I haven't wired anything extra in a vehicle since I was in my late-teens/early-20's and then I went directly to the battery.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
maybe with something like a fuse tap

If you’re serious about a fuse tap…

Be careful it doesn’t deform / spread any terminals. Can you say “latent problem introduced”? Yeah.

I can’t think of any switched B+ circuits offhand for you to use…

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

Be careful it doesn’t deform / spread any terminals. Can you say “latent problem introduced”? Yeah.

Yeah, I wondered about that being an issue after I googled for an image to see what one looked like. I've heard the term "fuse tap", but have never seen one, much less used one.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I can’t think of any switched B+ circuits offhand for you to use…
There should be a few in the convenience center under the dash on the firewall. There's definitely several key-on sources on the 88-94 block; the newer style is different but should have some available as well. What I've never bothered to do is look up the wiring diagrams to see if those are fused (assuming they are since the factory ran optional equipment off them like power windows, power seat, etc.) but it might be wise to throw an inline fuse holder as close as possible to the block.

Richard

Manmeyco

Reaction score
Yeah, I wondered about that being an issue after I googled for an image to see what one looked like. I've heard the term "fuse tap", but have never seen one, much less used one.
I've used fuse taps in my other cars, for wiring up dash cams and accessories. Haven't had any issues with them, they're very simple pieces, that plug into a fuse slot, and provide two spots for fuses - one for the fuse it's taking up, the other for red wire on the tap. Here's the pack I got from amazon, there are others available for the other fuse sizes.

Why would it deform anything? They plug into a fuse slot, like a fuse. As long as the tap isn't touching any of the fuses around it, it should be perfectly fine.

Here's a photo of one, in case the amazon link goes down.
You must be registered for see images attach

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would it deform anything? They plug into a fuse slot, like a fuse.

This type (pictured) would likely deform the fuse block’s connector:

You must be registered for see images attach

Those you’ve pictured would seem to be a much better alternative.