Are the coolant temp sensors the same?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, I replaced that sensor and my guage still does not show accurate temp. I didn't laser any temps today but the most it read was 140. I typically read at 170-190
Where are you reading your gauge that it says the numbers on it? dont they jsut have the C H labels? Where does the needle point "at temp" using a clock for reference. 12 o clock?

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

95 7.4

obstuba916

Reaction score
Where are you reading your gauge that it says the numbers on it? dont they jsut have the C H labels? Where does the needle point "at temp" using a clock for reference. 12 o clock?
My gauge has hash marks going from 100-210 up to 280. Increments of 20. so I’m just taking a guess as to what the gauge says. Where it should be running at temp the gauge said either 120 or 150 max, maybe 8 or 9 o’clock. Both temp sensors are new

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My gauge has hash marks going from 100-210 up to 280. Increments of 20. so I’m just taking a guess as to what the gauge says. Where it should be running at temp the gauge said either 120 or 150 max, maybe 8 or 9 o’clock. Both temp sensors are new
Sounds like it could be the grounding quality, is your gauge sensor 1 wire? Ive pinched a head mounted sensor wire in the valve cover, played with the gauge reading

Important to not the gauge is not linear

3 electro magnet driven gauges are not linear sadly, its progressively higher, Think like an old speedo that went from left to right instead of a circle, 0-10mph was like 3 inches but 50-60 was less than half an inch lol

obstuba916

Reaction score
Sounds like it could be the grounding quality, is your gauge sensor 1 wire? Ive pinched a head mounted sensor wire in the valve cover, played with the gauge reading

Important to not the gauge is not linear

3 electro magnet driven gauges are not linear sadly, its progressively higher, Think like an old speedo that went from left to right instead of a circle, 0-10mph was like 3 inches but 50-60 was less than half an inch lol
I haven't done any type of big 3 upgrades. I have that in the works though. It's just kind of an odd issue

obstuba916

Reaction score
doies your gauge look like the one above? if so, 8 or 9 o clock literally arent even on the face of the gauge lol
Yes that's similar. Regardless of the clock position it usually reads 120-150 with the new sensors. When I got home today the guage read in the same range while the thermostat measured 198 and the sensors themselves measured 200 and change with an infrared thermometer.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yes that's similar. Regardless of the clock position it usually reads 120-150 with the new sensors. When I got home today the guage read in the same range while the thermostat measured 198 and the sensors themselves measured 200 and change with an infrared thermometer.
What are the sensors themselves reading at the sensor connection, with an ohmmeter, and at what temperature? Most likely you'll find the sensors are reading correctly since they're new (not always a guarantee but you had the same behavior with the old sensors, right?), and you'll find as we've been suggesting, resistance in the circuit, most likely suspect would be the grounds.

You could begin addressing it by giving attention to the grounds in the engine bay. At and next to the thermostat housing, then the two braided straps at the rear of the passenger side head to the firewall then from that same point on the firewall down to the frame, and don't forget the one inside the cab where the dash cluster grounds at the metal tab under the dash where the ALDL connector also mounts.

Richard