Anyone using GM Performance 88958652 lifter trays on L31 ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

homeslice

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone is using these LS style lifter trays, which appear to be designed for the SBC. Sure seems like a cheap and handy upgrade to do while changing a camshaft out. or replacing the common plastic intake gaskets which fail.

From what I read, the claim is 2 spins of the cam and it can slide out without pulling the intake on SBC. Pretty cool if they work reliably.

You must be registered for see images attach

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
I haven't seen these in years here at work, they are good if you are going to change your cam a lot. But outside of that there is not much benefit to them other than making your wallet lighter, especially on a street application where the cam wont get changed every few passes like on a purpose built race motor, and even then these wouldn't last long.

96TahoeDoug

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds cool! So I've been ignoring the whistling whine of what will likely be intake gaskets. Kinda goes along with the maybe 4% increase in roughness of idle. While where in the lifter valley do you have a recommendation on upgrading the L31 intake from stock? The cheap stuff you can feel is my target...

homeslice

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
no such thing as cheap when it comes to upgrading the stock L31 intake. this is why I still haven't changed out the stock 2 piece intake on both my trucks.

96TahoeDoug

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Funny I got away from the Ford 4.6 garbage for this reason and recall a $700 first choice solution aluminum intake. No way thought I'd face this from a SBC. I'll see what we have for aluminum. Be a cheap job just doing gaskets but having it apart I'd hate to remount a plastic intake. Only 100k it be a nice time for a cam though.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So those aren't LS trays, they're just modelled after them? If so then that's pretty slick. People change out cams all the time on the LS stuff with the lifters in the car.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So those aren't LS trays, they're just modelled after them? If so then that's pretty slick. People change out cams all the time on the LS stuff with the lifters in the car.
I put them in mine. Changed the cam once without removing the intake. 232/244@ 0.050 proved to be a little more rpm oriented than I intended it to be. I ended up swapping to a smaller cam. Now swapped the intake back to a ported stocker with 48 lb/hr spider. Swapped back to the stock intake to re-install the EGR due to recent emissions crack downs. It will be disabled 360 days of the year but its there. I used them because pulling the intake in an Express is a major PITA and I was not sure how the low-end power would be with the larger cam. This intake also went back on with Edelbrock paper gaskets. Hopefully no more failure prone intake gaskets. Leave it alone for the next 5-10 years

You must be registered for see images attach

homeslice

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
cool. thanks for that feedback. I would order them up at $20 each but I can't seem to find them in stock anywhere.

homeslice

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@L31MaxExpress where are you sourcing the 48lb spider assembly ? I have the new Delphi spider unit ready to go, but I don't think it puts out that much.