Anyone used these headlights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Found these on Rock Auto website, looking at truck parts. Looks like a good piece, doesn't say whether they come with bulbs. The lens looks like it might give better light; something the factory style doesn't do when old and cloudy.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220717-190216.png
    Screenshot_20220717-190216.png
    885.5 KB · Views: 41

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I own a pair of those compound reflectors (actually, two pair… one from TYC and one from APC), and I still have them but I no longer use either pair.

The headlight pattern was very poor on low beam and the high-beam pattern wasn’t much better, on both models.

Too, eventually the TYCs started taking water, and that’s what finally motivated me to try another solution… and so began my quest for the Arteb lights, and the rest is history.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I own a pair of those compound reflectors (actually, two pair… one from TYC and one from APC), and I still have them but I no longer use either pair.

The headlight pattern was very poor on low beam and the high-beam pattern wasn’t much better, on both models.

Too, eventually the TYCs started taking water, and that’s what finally motivated me to try another solution… and so began my quest for the Arteb lights, and the rest is history.
Okay, that's what I was wondering. The eagle eyes ones on the Burb leaked on the curb/passenger side, but a tube of silicone took care of that.
Rawhide (my 97 crew cab) has yellowed headlights, like they all get, and the store I got the eagle eyes ones from, for the Burb,is no longer in business. So I want to upgrade, since eventually this truck will get driven at night,and on the road.
My luck, if I put Artebs on one of my trucks, it'd get hit bad in the front....

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rawhide (my 97 crew cab) has yellowed headlights, like they all get,

I've taken yellowed / hazy lights to the autobody shop to have them buffed-out, with very good results (although I suppose YMMV).

But that's half the story, because they then need to have their UV protection improved. For that, one can apply a UV resistant film. This was discussed recently, see each of these:

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/arteb-brazil-gmt400-headlight-users-thread.56596/post-1240098

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/tail-head-light-swaps.58506/post-1247207

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/arteb-brazil-gmt400-headlight-users-thread.56596/post-1251100

Carlaisle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have had a pair of Spyder glass lens headlight housings (model # 5012388) on for probably 4 years or so. Nice light pattern on low and high. Zero water infiltration. Huge improvement over the decrepit originals, but a flashlight would have been, also. I replaced the parking lights at the same time with some no name jobs that looked nice. The chrome bezel area on them has flaked off and the surface of the lens is peeling, which I haven't see before. I'm going with that's an engineered feature; the outer, damaged layers automatically flake off revealing new, pristine lens material underneath so the light pattern remains unaffected.

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
Okay, that's what I was wondering. The eagle eyes ones on the Burb leaked on the curb/passenger side, but a tube of silicone took care of that.
Rawhide (my 97 crew cab) has yellowed headlights, like they all get, and the store I got the eagle eyes ones from, for the Burb,is no longer in business. So I want to upgrade, since eventually this truck will get driven at night,and on the road.
My luck, if I put Artebs on one of my trucks, it'd get hit bad in the front....
Definitely buy led bulbs off eBay here’s 2 sets they will change your mind on leds if you don’t already have them!!! But honestly get you clear lenses good ones don’t go cheap or just anything my headlights being clear not having the factory reflectant cut lenses have always been brighter than what all other 400’s came with besides Denali 400 that they’re bigger headlight but that they clear but those leds are no joke on lighting up the road!!! My lows are just about as bright as my highs that I’ve never changed out bulbs in 11yrs but are yellowish color but are still bright enough to make others turn off they brights so please for your sake and others in your ride get one of these led sets and definitely change out to clear lenses!!!
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Drop in LEDs can definitely be brighter than the factory halogens, but they won't do anything to improve the beam pattern. In fact, they'll make it much worse. You can't properly imitate the 360 degree output of a cylindrical filament with multi sided LED boards. You end up with hot spots and very little effective cut off. Which may be fine from your perspective, but everyone you shine your lights on in traffic will most likely not be pleased.

I'm running Auxbeam LEDs in both of my trucks right now and the cut-off is garbage. They throw light all over the place compared to the factory halogens. You can test this theory yourself if you have a set of halogens and a set of LEDs. With the regular halogens in the low beam reflectors (and the reflectors properly adjusted), pull the truck out onto a street with several reflective road signs. Observe the amount of light reflecting off of those signs. It shouldn't be much as they're above the cut off line of the low beams. Now swap to the LED low beams and go observe the same thing on the same street. There will be significantly more light reflected back at you off of the signs.

Last edited:

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
I have had a pair of Spyder glass lens headlight housings (model # 5012388) on for probably 4 years or so. Nice light pattern on low and high. Zero water infiltration. Huge improvement over the decrepit originals, but a flashlight would have been, also. I replaced the parking lights at the same time with some no name jobs that looked nice. The chrome bezel area on them has flaked off and the surface of the lens is peeling, which I haven't see before. I'm going with that's an engineered feature; the outer, damaged layers automatically flake off revealing new, pristine lens material underneath so the light pattern remains unaffected.
Like the peel off motocross goggles, except automatic!