Anyone still running older style off-road lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any with glass lenses?, All I've seen is plastic and they turn yellower faster than my 31 year old headlights. I really don't get GM's thinking in the 90's, I have composite headlights on the 90 Silverado, but my 92 Sunbird has glass:Nonono:

Doug in P.R.:cool:

I've had my rigid pods for a couple years and they're still as clear as day one. They have a Polycorbonate Lens which is much stronger than glass. Every headlight from that era is garbage, my 06 Tiburon is almost opaque and replacement headlights are not cheap.

Can't agree with this statement-I paid 25GBP for a pair of what seems knock off AIWA lights (18led) and they are brilliant-they don't mist inside(are super water tight) none of the led has gone out-I can't praise them enough. Had them over a year now. I also bought another pair-25 led WOWLED- ones and they were s h i t-took on water like a submarine and bolts inside rusted so badly they disintegrated. So not all cheap stuff are crap-but some are. There is nice video on that on you tube with 2 atv-one fitted with very expensive Baja lights-the other has cheap copies-the light output is pretty much the same and the guy with Bajas feels really screwed over.
Why am I posting in this forum? Cause I also wanted that old school kind a look but I also wanted high light output so I kind of married the 2 ideas-that's how it came out.

They don't look great. My question is, have you ever had high end lights to compare them to? Because if you've only ever had cheap lights, an okay cheap light will seem good.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had my rigid pods for a couple years and they're still as clear as day one. They have a Polycorbonate Lens which is much stronger than glass. Every headlight from that era is garbage, my 06 Tiburon is almost opaque and replacement headlights are not cheap.
You realize polycarbonate is plastic, right?
They don't look great. My question is, have you ever had high end lights to compare them to? Because if you've only ever had cheap lights, an okay cheap light will seem good.
More expensive doesn't always mean better. Last time I priced off road lights the name brand shìt was 10x the price of Amazon and eBay stuff. No way I can justify that for what amounts to a marginal increase in output which isn't gonna be noticed by anyone except desert racers, which I am not. Even if the cheapies are not as well made as the expensive ones, I can buy a bunch and still come out ahead.
Sometimes "good enough" absolutely is.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
N

No-I didn't,but first of all for my aplication what I have is totally ok. Also like 618 Syndicate says-more expensive doesn't automatically says quality-and the lights I bought tick all boxes in terms of being watertight,light output-paint is not chipping,chrome not peeling,maybe one or to bolts go lil rusty but that's just bolts. And after all these lights are relatively simple-glass,reflector(depending of the shape of reflector you either get spot or flood but in general the same piece of chromed plastic),leds,rubber gaskets and simple electronic circuit-like I mentioned in my post some can even screw this up-but these guys got it spot on.
As to the looks-it's subjective-but I can still get under most of the parking height bars,they go along with rectangular shape of headlights and do what's intended. And they don't draw massive amount of current so I don't have to worry about extra battery and what not. Also the way I fitted them I didn't have to alter the originality of the truck-I didn't have to drill 1 hole to have them up there. But you may not like them and I'm ok with it. There are different shapes out there if one wants to achieve different looks-round,square,big,small. I liked these loosely taking the idea of the 3 instead of 4 or 2 light from Transformers Escalades.

Attachments

• Capture+_2020-05-22-13-25-20.png
    Capture+_2020-05-22-13-25-20.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 17

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You realize polycarbonate is plastic, right?
Lmao of course it is, what else would it be? You realize plastic has advanced since the 90's right?
More expensive doesn't always mean better. Last time I priced off road lights the name brand shìt was 10x the price of Amazon and eBay stuff. No way I can justify that for what amounts to a marginal increase in output which isn't gonna be noticed by anyone except desert racers, which I am not. Even if the cheapies are not as well made as the expensive ones, I can buy a bunch and still come out ahead.
Sometimes "good enough" absolutely is.
If you think its a marginal difference you're definitely just making this up as you go along. Everybody says that when Amazon lights are all they know, and everyone changes their mind when they see something quality.

Hilariously enough, I ordered some old school hella 700's last night for the blazer. If you're pressed for cash there's decent halogen options for cheap. Cheap led's are always gonna be garbage though.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lmao of course it is, what else would it be? You realize plastic has advanced since the 90's right?
Then why not call them plastic?
If you think its a marginal difference you're definitely just making this up as you go along.
Or, I'm using my actual life experience...
Everybody says that when Amazon lights are all they know, and everyone changes their mind when they see something quality.
It's ok to be wrong.
Hilariously enough, I ordered some old school hella 700's last night for the blazer. If you're pressed for cash there's decent halogen options for cheap.
Pressed for cash? Are you pocket watching?
I'm not usually one to quote scripture, but a reference to Proverbs 21:20 seems appropriate here. Maybe you've heard the modern interpretation: "A fool and his money are soon parted."
Cheap led's are always gonna be garbage though.
Sometimes yes, they're junk. But certainly not always.
Again, it's okay to be wrong.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I have not bought any led light pods but I have bought countless led bulbs for many different applications.

almost all of them are still working, some, 1156's are pushing ten years old and I still have every single one of those bulbs I've ever bought.

the only damn led bulbs that I have had burn out were expensive ones! like the so called new design advanced projector lenses Iv put in for reverse lights in both trucks! $10/bulb, I bought 6 and only have 1 of these light bulbs left. Iv had to go back to the cheap nonprojector bulbs i originally bought like 10 years ago.

Im cheap as hell but read the reviews and always make economical decisions. sometimes the price of something does not dictate the quality whatsoever.

But sometimes a high price might be warranted due to Research and Development and possible DOT approvals... all of that is expensive. these bulbs are NOT made over seas.... as awesome as they might be, I wont be draining my pocket for any of those.

look at the DOT approved LED 5x7 headlights for semi trucks as an example.....

Last edited:

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
and Yes I am still running old school halogen DOT approved fog or driving lights.

Heres a set... NOS DOT approved FOG lights. they are for my Sierra I just havent installed them yet. (its just a farm truck for now.)
You must be registered for see images attach

Heres the set on my Burb, same make just a little different because the glass lenses are clear. I think these are considered driving lights but do an awesome job in the snow or fog. man within the first week after installation a rock hit the lense on the drivers side and spider webbed it pretty badly but it never fell apart.... 6-7 years later it's still intact. I need to find a replacement lense for it! this is also one of the reasons why I never installed these on the Sierra... I might put them ontop of the bumper instead.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then why not call them plastic?

There are many kinds of plastic. Saying which kind it uses tells you more than just saying "plastic.". I think that's why this discussion has devolved into you saying I'm wrong and not giving any explanation why and quoting fairy tales. You don't have the requisite knowledge to actually discuss this. If you really think your China lights are as good as American products keep on buying them, but I hope you do get the chance to try something better because the difference is staggering. I'm bowing out of this one though, enough derailing OP's thread.

Reaction score
I will be wanting to put some light on my truck. As nice as the new LED light bars are, I really like the look of older lights like the KC Dayligters etc. So post pics of what you've go on your trucks!

Attachments

• IMG_20210829_220021221.jpg
    IMG_20210829_220021221.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210829_220417346.jpg
    IMG_20210829_220417346.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20210829_215705387.jpg
    IMG_20210829_215705387.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210829_220153168.jpg
    IMG_20210829_220153168.jpg