Anyone running 19.5's on a SRW

Discussion in 'Towing' started by rcb1, Mar 20, 2018.

1. rcb1

rcb1 OBS Enthusiast

I've been considering going to 19.5's on my k3500 with SRW. I bumper tow up to 12k for farm bits and bobs. I don't like the squish and sway. Right now I'm running 245/75 16s. I am wanting a taller tire too, but it already sways a bit with the 245s. I am offroad quite (in the fields) a bit as well, which is a negative to the 19.5s since I know they don't flex. I like the 19.5s because Rickson makes a steel wheel that still accepts the factory centers and like the look. (At the least I want to keep a steel wheel). I've never scaled just the rear axle when loaded, but I can't imagine the rear axle taking on more than 3500lbs over curb. It already rides like a log truck so I'm not too concerned about ride comfort. I also like the thought of a tougher tire since I'm just SRW. I don't want to convert to DRW due to clearance issues between fields and reducing tire loading. Thoughts?

2. Biggershaft96

Biggershaft96 Cant Getrite

19.5s are god aweful in fields in my experience. They just have no give and theres not really a good tread pattern for being offroad. Try running some 265/75r16 firestone transforce tires at about 60-70psi. My grandpa runs them on his truck at 70psi in the rear and it carries 10 1100lb round bales on a gooseneck with no complaints.

3. brutpwr

brutpwr Newbie

Going to a wider 8" wheel will help with side to side sway and help a bit with the squish as it will add a lot of stability to sidewalls of the tire.

4. rcb1

rcb1 OBS Enthusiast

Thanks for the input on both counts. I may try the F series tires that are starting to show up before dumping the cash into anything. I could also test some 8 inch wheels and see how those do.