Anyone know if this ABS scanner will work with my truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigBadJohn

Reaction score
I’d like to find an ABS scanner that can auto bleed my ABS module in my truck. I didn’t really want to pay more than around $200 and this is one of the cheapest scanners I’ve seen that claim to be able to do it. I know there is some weird gap in the ABS setup around the year my truck was made. Does anyone know if this can auto bleed mine? It’s a 98 K1500 extended cab 3rd door shortbed with 10” drums in the back. The ABS module is Kelsey Hayes. Thank you.

Autel MaxiCheck Pro Diagnostic Tool for ABS Brake Auto Bleed, Oil Service, ABS, SRS, BMS, DPF, EPB Service, SAS, Oil Light/Service Reset Scanner https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075ZLVXHY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_shNQDbVPT2MAX

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I believe the only thing you'd need would be the appropriate card for whatever vehicle you were trying to work on. Like these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Card-F...M-SAAB-ISUZU-Suzuki-Professional/253956641161

I don't actually own one of the Tech 2 copies, but I've been considering getting one for a few years now. It looks like a great option, especially for those of us with '97 and older trucks that aren't compatible with most aftermarket tuning solutions.

Speaking of which though... Seeing as you have a '98 I'd be checking to see if you can send commands to the ABS module through HPTuners. I know the '98 black box PCMs are supported. If that's the case I'd much rather spend the money on an HPTuners MPVI2 personally.

EDIT - Just did some Googling... Looks like HPTuners doesn't support ABS commands or anything that runs through a BCM really.

Last edited:

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
I use one of those tech2's df2x4 discusses. It works great for the ABS. Also has the snap shot feature for collecting and viewing data graphs. If you want to install a new ECU and copy over your old ECU or pull the ECU part number from the CD and load it, you'll need a computer that can run the TIS2000 CD that comes with the unit.

Do a youtube search for "DrShock tech2" and you'll get many videos.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
x2 for the knockoff Tech2, it's well worth the extra! I've diagnosed and fixed problems with the ABS on both my 97 Sierra and my 03 Blazer with it, and reprogrammed a few RDS radios while I was at it :D