Anyone have numbers on what an intake manifold swap does for tbi engines?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reservoir dog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree completely , I just don't have the know how or patience to learn how to tune one of these. Vacuum gauge , timing light and a screwdriver are about the extent of my tuning knowledge. I would gladly pay a tuner if I could find one local. I've heard too many bad stories to do trial and error mail order chips.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Intake manifold, or air cleaner and ducting?

When the engine is tuned for it, it'll reduce detonation at part-throttle, and it's supposed to improve fuel economy. The manufacturers use it because it reduces peak combustion temperature and therefore reduces tailpipe NOx.

Air cleaner and ducting.

IMHO, this is part of improving output in your build. Anytime you modify something on your engine, you should tune for it :33:

This is something I plan to learn eventually, I'm just not even sure where to start. I'm gonna have to play it safe though, I've had to replace an engine in my Taurus due to a tune before but that was also at power levels the tbi will never hit.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Air cleaner and ducting.

This is something I plan to learn eventually, I'm just not even sure where to start. I'm gonna have to play it safe though, I've had to replace an engine in my Taurus due to a tune before but that was also at power levels the tbi will never hit.
Ecoboost SHO with the boost turned up?

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ecoboost SHO with the boost turned up?
And a lift kit, exhaust dumping behind the front wheels, and a 3.8 second 0-60. Until kaboom.
Refresh my memory what year, engine, trans are we talking about. How much money do you wanna spend?

1992 blazer with the 700r4/4l60. Money is gonna be gradual for now since I'm planning a move across the country next year but we're planning to bring it with us. I'm just looking at cheap mods for now, sub $500 here and there. But I know tuning is good from day 1 as well

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait, what?
It took lots of trial and error but what ended up working was a lift kit for an explorer up front with sway bar extensions and half size spacers in back. That lift (and my driveway) broke two struts, the sway bar endlinks, and a cv axle. But it was fun and I still get random messages about it from time to time.

You must be registered for see images attach